Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Originally Posted by Curlydave i'll say it again: ctrl+alt+f2 will kick you out of Xserver, as will doing anything wrong at all in the xorg file I'll rebut again, it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Curlydave
    i'll say it again: ctrl+alt+f2 will kick you out of Xserver, as will doing anything wrong at all in the xorg file
    I'll rebut again, it most certainly does not, at least on the system I tested. All it did was log me out and bring me back to the GDM login screen.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Okay, okay. This is starting to turn into a flame war. I think we all just need to agree to disagree on this topic. The simple fact is, not everyone can get every distro to work correctly on their computer. [edit]In light of Techie's last comment I will add also that not everyone will get every distro to behave like they think it should either[/edit]. I'm sure that there are people out there who can't get the distros that the non-Ubuntu fans endorse to work on their computer either. It all boils down to what Techie said, "To each his own".

But I will make one comment on Grumpy's review. If you didn't want to start a flame war (or maybe you did, correct me if I'm wrong), why did you use such strong language as "This distro is crap". That would angry any fan of any distro you are reviewing. Simply say that you don't like it and don't recommend it.

Just my $.02.

I give up...

I'm just going to reiterate some points and then bow out of this thread. It shows potential for flaming, and I'm sure I'm not helping it.

1. Ubuntu gave me problems because of choices the maintainers made regarding the way the overall system works, making it different from any other distro I've tried, and not in a good way (IMO).

2. Most of my problems could have been solved, but I wasn't interested in actually using it after I found out all the hoops I'd have to jump through in order to modify Ubuntu into something that operated the way I'm used to. If the distro doesn't behave the way I want, I may or may not have the energy to make it, and in this case there are plenty of distros out there (including the newly released Sarge stable) that do what I want out of the box.

3. As I said and was reiterated earlier, to each their own.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by compmodder26
    Okay, okay. This is starting to turn into a flame war. I think we all just need to agree to disagree on this topic. The simple fact is, not everyone can get every distro to work correctly on their computer. [edit]In light of Techie's last comment I will add also that not everyone will get every distro to behave like they think it should either[/edit]. I'm sure that there are people out there who can't get the distros that the non-Ubuntu fans endorse to work on their computer either. It all boils down to what Techie said, "To each his own".

But I will make one comment on Grumpy's review. If you didn't want to start a flame war (or maybe you did, correct me if I'm wrong), why did you use such strong language as "This distro is crap". That would angry any fan of any distro you are reviewing. Simply say that you don't like it and don't recommend it.

Just my $.02.
    I don't think Ubuntu is a bad distro personally, but it should not be distrowatch #1, like jens said, i"t's a fine distro", but I don't think it deserves to be #1.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Jam
    I don't think Ubuntu is a bad distro personally, but it should not be distrowatch #1, like jens said, i"t's a fine distro", but I don't think it deserves to be #1.
    Distrowatch #1 doesn't mean that distrowatch, or anyone else, thinks it's the best distro. That is simply showing that the most people are clicking in to find out more about it.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by compmodder26
    Distrowatch #1 doesn't mean that distrowatch, or anyone else, thinks it's the best distro. That is simply showing that the most people are clicking in to find out more about it.
    I know that. It doesnt deserve that much attention. That's what Im trying to say.

Just Joined!
    I know that. It doesnt deserve that much attention. That's what Im trying to say.
    Ahh okay. Gotcha.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlydave
    i'll say it again: ctrl+alt+f2 will kick you out of Xserver, as will doing anything wrong at all in the xorg file
    I'll rebut again, it most certainly does not, at least on the system I tested. All it did was log me out and bring me back to the GDM login screen.
    Did'nt do anything here neither last time I tried... One of the most irritating things was that runlevel 2-5 were all corresponding to the runlevel 5 on other distros, so you can't use init to get out of X and neither boot into multiuser console-mode. That pissed me off.

But I don't want flaming neither, so lets just drop it now... If someone wants ubuntu, then use ubuntu.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by somuchfortheafter
    to all of those to incompetent to install/maintain ubuntu i would like to offer you a cup of stfu... seriously though if you can use gentoo but dont have the knowledge to enable universe in ubuntu you obviously have serious gaps in your knowledge.....
    I did get to enable the extra respiratories, enable the root account and such some hours after installing it, but to be honest I do still prefer gentoo. But I still never got my beloved console-mode boot, I usually prefer them over GDM/XDM/KDM/entrance etc.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by somuchfortheafter
    to all of those to incompetent to install/maintain ubuntu i would like to offer you a cup of stfu... seriously though if you can use gentoo but dont have the knowledge to enable universe in ubuntu you obviously have serious gaps in your knowledge.....
    Just speaking for my roomie, who taught me most everything I know about Linux, Ubuntu might be easy to install....but it throws random problems left and right...problems which never occur in other distros....Ubuntu has its share of flakes and can be quite a ***** to "maintain", despite your knowledge base.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast