Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
But I still never got my beloved console-mode boot, I usually prefer them over GDM/XDM/KDM/entrance etc. I prefere a text login as well. This did the job for me(and will ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

But I still never got my beloved console-mode boot, I usually prefer them over GDM/XDM/KDM/entrance etc.
    I prefere a text login as well.
    This did the job for me(and will also let you use the default nvidia installer):
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/rc2.d/S13gdm /etc/rc2.d/K13gdm
    As for the runlevels, runlevel 2 is the default (and graphical) level and 2 till 5 are identical (so you can't use init 3 to close X in default). This way you can edit runlevel 3 till 5 the way you like...

Linux Newbie
    Triple that, I prefer runlevel 3 too, I hate X login managers.

Linux Newbie
    Every distro has a different audiance and that is great, that is what make Linux what it is. It is an operaitng system that has 1000's of different flavours and styles, it is all about finding the one that is best for you. I personally hate (K)ubuntu but i love other distros which other may hate.

I have personally made Linux from scratch which i LOVE and would advise it to anyone as it teaches you so much but most people dont wanna do that.

Linux is about choice, Linux is about freedom this is why we can disagree but agree at the same time. enjoy the ditroy you enjoy and let me hate the ones i hate
    Very funny scotty - now beam down my clothes

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGerbil
    Every distro has a different audiance and that is great, that is what make Linux what it is. It is an operaitng system that has 1000's of different flavours and styles, it is all about finding the one that is best for you. I personally hate (K)ubuntu but i love other distros which other may hate.

I have personally made Linux from scratch which i LOVE and would advise it to anyone as it teaches you so much but most people dont wanna do that.

Linux is about choice, Linux is about freedom this is why we can disagree but agree at the same time. enjoy the ditroy you enjoy and let me hate the ones i hate
    I have to disagree, I find installing Gentoo is the best way of getting you started with UNIX Shell Commands.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGerbil
    In fact, I'm doing it right now

Quote Originally Posted by Red Jam
    I find the Gentoo Handbook a more comprehensive way of learning basic shell commands to get you round the system without X.
    You learn more from LFS since there are no automatic package-managers or anything in LFS, you create things from a level even below the stage1-tarball. Therefor the name LFS=Linux From Scratch.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for the review TechieMoe. I dl'ed the Kubuntu CD to see what all the hype was about. I wasn't impressed. Most people would be better served with any of multiple alternatives.

Jeff

I didn't care for Ubuntu much either, but I also could see how new Linux users might find it easier to operate than some other main line distros.

Getting around the root thing wasn't much of a problem, but with Ubuntu, I always had this nagging feeling that they wanted to do things differently just for the sake of being different.

To each his own...

I would like to say that BeatrIX, a spin off of Ubuntu, impressed me greatly. Its hardware detection is first rate, and it is very fast. I highly recommend BeatrIX for older machines that need a new life.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Engineer
    Im trying to tell everyone that I find the Gentoo Handbook a quicker and easier read to learn UNIX Shell Commands, and some of the inner-workings of a Linux System.
    It is quicker to read and such, yes I agree there, but the stuff talked about in LFS are mostly not distro-spesific; It's the same with them all and gives you a good explainations of what different gnu packages and such do in your system and why there supposed to be there, while the gentoo handbook gives some info which is gentoo-spesific like lots of stuff about emerge, make.conf (OK, this is in systems like freebsd too, but often set up differently) and rc-update in addition to the things which is the same at (almost) all the distros. But don't misunderstand me; the gentoo guide is perfect for the purpose it was created.

Linux Newbie
    I don't even like Gentoo to be honest, but the handbook is a damm good read.

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't even like Gentoo to be honest, but the handbook is a damm good read.
    I think Gentoo has some of the best (if not the best) documentation available in the Linux distro scene.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast