Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
I heard alot about ubuntu and i decided to try it, but i found it infuriating. I will say 1 good thing about it, it looks nice, even the login ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

(K)Ubuntu - my hatred for the 'world peace' distro

I heard alot about ubuntu and i decided to try it, but i found it infuriating.

I will say 1 good thing about it, it looks nice, even the login screen looks nice.

Now that said i will continue I downloaded it (only 1 cd .... nothing except the GUI and OpenOffice) to get extra programs it will need to kill your network connection and download the packages required, which if your like me is quite a few. I also wanted Koffice,which is not in there repository but when i tried to install it, it failed when configuring. Personally i have made Linux From Scratch so i feel i am pretty good at installing packages but this one i just could not do for some reason. Not only this did i have a problem with i was downloading several games and could not get them to run, Thee are NVidia drivers on the reposiory but they don't seem to help alot, so i downloaded the Official drivers and to my horror i could not get into the shell, hmmm not a good feature in my opinion. And it is bloody too stable to i could not crash the Xserver to get into it and install the drivers.
    Also i tried to get access to the root user to install some stuff - Another feature they disable how can you disable the bloody root user in linux?? it is easy to get around but i don't like it all the same.

In my opinion the Distro is crap. for a new user it will not let you learn alot about linux becuase it is like a 'sandbox' linux where you are sheilded away from everything possible. Unless there is a program you want in the repository there is not alot you can do, even when you do download a program you have to go into the repository to download the compilers needed and still i had trouble finding the headers i needed for alot of the programs i tried. Overall i hated this distro and i would recommend it to no1

Hope i haven't ranted to much and you enjoyed my review of UBUNTU / KUBUNTU

SCO
    Just Joined!
    I didnt think much of Ubuntu either, and If you read TechieMoe's review...

I sum it up as a distro with a pretty face, but on the inside, just a version of Debian that's had it's legs broken a couple of times.

Just Joined!
    I'm glad i'm not the only one that dosn't like ubuntu. Not being able to use su was enough to bug me.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I've never tried it. The "Just Works" thing scared me off imediately, I don't want something that just works, I want something with every godawful bell and whistle you can squeeze onto a hard disc(EG: RedHat). And I must say I'm not too fond of the name "Ubuntu - Linux for Human Beings"........ I guess that leaves me out.

Linux Engineer

Re: (K)Ubuntu - my hatred for the 'world peace' distro

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGerbil
    Thee are NVidia drivers on the reposiory but they don't seem to help alot, so i downloaded the Official drivers and to my horror i could not get into the shell, hmmm not a good feature in my opinion. And it is bloody too stable to i could not crash the Xserver to get into it and install the drivers.
    The Ubuntu wiki has a page on installing the Nvidia drivers which should work flawlessly. It's not exactly straightforward as it may be on other distros, but it's all documented. And to kill X, just do
    Code:
    sudo init 2
    Also i tried to get access to the root user to install some stuff - Another feature they disable how can you disable the bloody root user in linux?? it is easy to get around but i don't like it all the same.
    As much as I hate this myself, it's good to look at it from a developers standpoint - how do you design a distro so that a newbie can't break the entire system? Simple: disable root logins. sudo is actually quite a powerful utility. A sysadmin should never have to login as root, and if he/she wants to use su on Ubuntu, a simple
    Code:
    sudo passwd
    does the trick. So I don't see a major problem here.
    In my opinion the Distro is crap. for a new user it will not let you learn alot about linux becuase it is like a 'sandbox' linux where you are sheilded away from everything possible. Unless there is a program you want in the repository there is not alot you can do, even when you do download a program you have to go into the repository to download the compilers needed and still i had trouble finding the headers i needed for alot of the programs i tried. Overall i hated this distro and i would recommend it to no1

Hope i haven't ranted to much and you enjoyed my review of UBUNTU / KUBUNTU
    I haven't tried Ubuntu but I at least want to give it a chance sometime. I agree it does shield the user from the inner workings of the system, but I see this as an advantage as this distro is intended more for the general population, not the computer expert. I like their philosophy at least, with the free CDs and such.

Linux Engineer
    IMO Ubuntu is one of the easiest distros to get going / maintain.

TO get nvidia going I just apt-get install nvidia-glx and tweak the xorg.conf file

If Koffice isn't in the repository then just add a debian repository that has it. Shouldn't break.

There's so much in the debian / ubuntu repositories that I've never needed to install anything by hand, except ET

And as has been said, root is disabled for a very good purpose, but is easily enabled.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Yeh these are mute since if you do 'install expert' you can setup the root password during install or when its installed just 'sudo su' then 'passwd root'. And im sure they have support for koffice have you uncommented the universal repositorys in your /etc/apt/sources.list then you should have access to alot more packages.

I personaly think Ubuntu is a good distro just like Debian you need to know how to do these things I found it really easy since I used to use Debian and its the same IMHO just has more polish!!

I too find Ubuntu and KUbuntu sorely lacking. To each their own.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by SCO
    Just for fun, could you provide a link to his review?

Quote Originally Posted by ibowtotux
    Quote Originally Posted by SCO
    Just for fun, could you provide a link to his review?
    There's a link to all my reviews in my signature, but if you're just interested in Ubuntu, here you go.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast