Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
although i believe the article was meant to be a joke all along, i can actually relate to some of that stuff. there was a guy who wanted me to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

although i believe the article was meant to be a joke all along, i can actually relate to some of that stuff. there was a guy who wanted me to fix his computer this one time. he'd gotten a friend to install xp for someone (illegal but i really dont care). unfortuanly his comp was screwed beyond believe an needed a restore. i was foreced to restore it to ME. i had to search for all kinds of drivers to get it working. the video card driver gave me 16 colours, no sound. i needed a driver for a USB wireless adapter, but there was no ME driver on the disk (xp, 2000, 9 lol missed one, hell go figure. I got a ME driver off the internet, but it still didnt work. now, when i used knoppix (i needed it to recover his data) it automatically detected everything, and i was able to get onto the internet. guess some of it is true.

Why is this funny?

IMO Linux is hardly ready for a desktop. Seriously though. I tried to convince some people I know to use Linux and they all turned it down. Why? Because just as everyone isn't an auto mechanic, everyone isn't computer literate. And I'm not talking about those retards who spend their time waiting for a screen saver to pop up.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_The_Lionhearted
    I tried to convince some people I know to use Linux and they all turned it down. Why? Because just as everyone isn't an auto mechanic, everyone isn't computer literate. And I'm not talking about those retards who spend their time waiting for a screen saver to pop up.
    I'd venture to say that the "majority" of Windows users can't even install their own OS, much less Linux. Most of them know how to turn the computer on and off, use a browser, email, and a few other apps, and that's about it. They are scared to death that they might get too far out there, and not be able to find their way back to their comfort zone within Windows.

In my opinion, more computer users simply need to work at becoming a little more adventuresome.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_The_Lionhearted
    And I'm not talking about those retards who spend their time waiting for a screen saver to pop up.
    LMAO hey I love watching the screensaver.
    Registered Linux user #390336

Just Joined!
    In my opinion no OS is that hard to install. Just a matter of actually reading the manual over once. I'v installed many different distros of linux, a few of bsd and had no problems with either. And anyone that thinks win-xpensive is hard to install should just pack there computer up and return it to the store they bought it from.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by gu174r.fr34k
    In my opinion no OS is that hard to install. Just a matter of actually reading the manual over once.
    I wish I knew of this "manual" stuff. LFS is almost too easy for me.

Nice I agree it will never be ready Rob

I got tired of udates taking up more time then surfing and SP2 crashed my laptop 8 times so it has Mandrake 10 now

SCO
    Just Joined!
    Speaking of discs, I enjoy using AOL Free Trial discs as freesbies.

Linux Engineer
    They also make really nice targets at the range.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast