Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
So you include that option in the default kernel config for the distro and that's all there is to it....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

So you include that option in the default kernel config for the distro and that's all there is to it.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Hotwheelz
    I would say Windows is by far the more friendly OS. I mean, my sister started out knowing nothing, and is pretty good with the thing. No instructions at all. Thats pretty good. Not likely to happen with Linux
    Well, check out "ArkLinux" on your sister. I bet she would manage to do pretty well in there aswell

IMHO, if you setup a linux box for someone, configuring all their hardware and making everything easily accessible from the desktop, they will have no problems switching from Windows. You may need to give them a quick tutorial if they actually care about learning the DE/Linux, but if all they want to do is surf/check email/edit office-type docs, then it's just as simple as Windows, when setup properly.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    flw
    Linux Engineer
    if you setup a linux box for someone, configuring all their hardware and making everything easily accessible from the desktop, they will have no problems switching from Windows. You may need to give them a quick tutorial if they actually care about learning the DE/Linux, but if all they want to do is surf/check email/edit office-type docs, then it's just as simple as Windows, when setup properly.
    Nice Caveat's. I know I could use a quick tutorial
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

other than configuration, I think the biggest thing about user-friendliness is third party software. The fact that you can't just go out to a store and buy software that works is bad for some people. I'm not saying linux software distribution is worse, I think it's better myself, just that it's different, and new users have to get used to it first. People switching from linux always want to know what the linux equivalent of an exe is. And there's no simple answer, since exes are so broad in Windows. These things are in no way bad nor do I think they necessarily need to be changed, it's just good to explain to people these things before they get real confused by it.
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air...

Yeah...even if you set everything up for someone, they will eventually have to install something and that will bugger them (depending on the intellect of the person). Which brings me to something I've posted somewhere before: take all the warning labels off of everything and let stupid people kill themselves off, resulting in a more intelligent society.

Just Joined!
    So is it more user-friendly or not?

Linux Newbie
    sarumont wrote:
    take all the warning labels off of everything and let stupid people kill themselves off, resulting in a more intelligent society.
    How about ugly people?
    Lest we forget..
    blacks and jews..

genesus wrote:
    why not let the stupid people kill themselves off
    stupid people are already killing each other off.. most often with the pretext of improving society..
    (although I think the improvement would be greater if people with an overdose of pride would kill themselves off..)

'haven't read the thousand and one nights.. fell asleep during the attempt..
    my handle is just that.. my handle, holds no deeper significance than something that hasn't already been taken..
    I'm not an arab nor a muslim.. not that there's anything wrong with that..

Stupid people don't know how to build bombs.
    That depends on your definition of stupid..
    If (exoskeleton || (green && wiggles)) eat_it();

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    Yeah...even if you set everything up for someone, they will eventually have to install something and that will bugger them (depending on the intellect of the person). Which brings me to something I've posted somewhere before: take all the warning labels off of everything and let stupid people kill themselves off, resulting in a more intelligent society.
    I agree with you one hundred percent...that would improve society greatly, and shalamboobi [sp?] remember The One Thousand Nights and One Night most aptly states that to look upon the ugly is to sin against one's own spirit...so the results may not be p.c. anymore but, whatever works...why not let the stupid people kill themselves off...warning labels on toothpicks!?!
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

the problem these days is that windows is the default chosen os through schools, therefore that is what they get a taste of when it comes to computers and what the come to depend on, if linux was used more in educational situations, then people would not have such a hard time learning it.
    i agree with the statement of installation, yes it is a little hard, but how many people these days use windows but would have absoloutely no idea on how to install it.

my sister uses linux because this is my machine and i let her use it from time to time, she's a self confessed "non-computer person", obviously avoiding the word geek to not hurt my feelings but i honestly don't mind the classification. anyway, with a little tutorial from me, what programs to use, where to find them, she can now happily sit down at this computer and use it no problem once i've logged it in for her.

the key is to allow people to take that first step

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast