Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
The open-source operating system may be beginning to lose its user-unfriendly reputation with recent improvements, according to a German study Linux is only marginally more difficult for users to learn ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Linux as user friendly as windows? Almost...

The open-source operating system may be beginning to lose its user-unfriendly reputation with recent improvements, according to a German study

Linux is only marginally more difficult for users to learn than Windows XP, according to a study carried out by German usability testing agency Relevantive.

The tests, which compared SuSE Linux 8.2 Professional running the KDE 3.1.2 desktop environment to Windows XP, found that users were able to learn and complete tasks in Linux nearly as quickly as they could in Windows, and in some cases more quickly.
    Full story:
    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,3...9115533,00.htm

Jason

Just Joined!
    Running with perfect stability for years at a time seems quite "friendly" to me. Try doing that with windoZe anything.

Just Joined!
    I find my linux machines much easier to work with than windows.
    The simple fact that I don't have to close down a program once I've used it, then reboot at the end of the day is a nice bonus.
    Plus, the console makes work so much faster (and I'm not even one of those hardcore systems programmers!)

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Linux as user friendly as windows?

Maybe, until they try to add or upgrade some hardware all on their own. Or install it on their own.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Engineer
    Friendlier than windows, 'til you give 'em the root password :P

Linux Newbie
    one thing about linux was the whole mounting system. the fact that you have to unmount the drive before you take out the disk took a bit of time

but that is good news
    Thanks v much

\"Anything bigger than my ego i want it caught and killed\"- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Multi boot:
    Win xp home, SuSE 8.2 and Slackware 9.1

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Just wait till you tell mom or dad just to mount it or how about grandma
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Newbie
    I would say Windows is by far the more friendly OS. I mean, my sister started out knowing nothing, and is pretty good with the thing. No instructions at all. Thats pretty good. Not likely to happen with Linux

Quote Originally Posted by mad_red_hatter
    one thing about linux was the whole mounting system. the fact that you have to unmount the drive before you take out the disk took a bit of time
    That's why when you get a n00b running linux, you compile the Supermount (or is it Automount?) option in your kernel so that they mount themselves automagically.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie
    thats what i'm saying most people don't compile the kernel themselves (and do'nt want to)
    Thanks v much

\"Anything bigger than my ego i want it caught and killed\"- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Multi boot:
    Win xp home, SuSE 8.2 and Slackware 9.1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast