Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Yes, learning vi is certainly an important skill, especially since it's usually on all UNIX-like systems by default. I too learned it from FreeBSD. Coming from using only GUI editors ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Yes, learning vi is certainly an important skill, especially since it's usually on all UNIX-like systems by default. I too learned it from FreeBSD. Coming from using only GUI editors such as Gedit I finally printed out a vi manual and sat down and attempted to learn it. Today it's pretty much the only thing I use.

Quote Originally Posted by SCO
    Vi Is terrible in FreeBSD, this might be weird, but I noticed all keys to different commands were not the same as I was used to.
    Yeah, unfortunately vi/m does not behave consistently on different systems. On OpenBSD, for example, the Home and End keys capitalize and decapitalize letters, while on FreeBSD's vi, they go to the beginning and end of lines. It's a bit of a turnoff but you can still count on a lot of the basic vi commands to be the same across versions.

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    You bring up an interesting question. What is different in vim versus vi? I seem to remember "vim" standing for "VI-improved", but what was improved?
    Vim is much more powerful than vi; and without going into all the details in this post here is the Wikipedia article on Vim that lists the improvements over vi.

oz
    forum.guy
    A simple but good tutor is built right into vim. Just use the command: vimtutor

Here's a link to an online tutorial that's very interesting:

http://www.vi-improved.org/tutorial.php

A few of the differences between vi and vim can be found on the vim website:

http://www.vim.org/viusers.php

Hope you get a chance to check it out.

I recall hearing that some of the people that helped to design/create/setup the 70-80s era phone company swtiches could actually log on and use vi to cause phones to ring and other wild stuff.
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Wasn't really "vi", but yes, if you logged into the switch using maintenance mode, you can do all sorts of neat and wonderful things with the phones.

Let's just say the options they offer you through your POTS (Plain ol' telephone service) is a fraction of what's really available.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Hmmm...I started using vim for just the reasons a few mentioned...and that is that it is basiscally available on any distro. I just printed out a two page reference card and went at it, trying to do what I would normally do with an editor. So far, so good.

I even went as far as installing gvim on my work machine, although I haven't been as religious using it at work as I probably could be. But when I am at home or ssh'ing into my linux box, I always use vim. I like it, but by no means am an expert, but I figure as long as I keep using it, I will continue to become more comfortable.

Might have to take a look at some of those tutorials!
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

Linux Engineer
    I installed 5.3 a couple of days ago to, and switched to 5.4 yesterday... It's pretty much like you said it, I felt like a total n00b. The first thing I actually did when I was done was to install nano and bash via ports... I still haven't found out which module the kernel uses for my sound card, but I know there is some since "kldload snd_driver" makes the sound work... Anyone know which module = AC'97-cards?

Now I have a gentoo/freebsd dual-boot setup!

Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    I still haven't found out which module the kernel uses for my sound card, but I know there is some since "kldload snd_driver" makes the sound work... Anyone know which module = AC'97-cards?
    I recently had to do some research to get my C-Media card working at boot. First, I logged in as root and edited my /boot/loader.conf file to add these lines:

Code:
    sound_load="YES"
    snd_cmi_load="YES"
    Since my card is a C-Media it uses the "cmi" driver. To get the name of the driver, I looked in the sound section of the /boot/defaults/loader.conf file.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I was forced to learn vi in a desparate attempt to get X running on my first foray into FreeBSD. It was that or Emacs, and believe it or not, i found vi easier to use - despite everything i had read. Also it didn't take 30 seconds to load like emacs did on the old computer i used to experiment with FreeBSD!

Now, using vi to me is like eating with chopsticks, sure, i _have_ a knife and fork, but hey, sometimes ya gotta take a walk on the wild side...
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

Linux Enthusiast
    Here's a nice
    To me vi is zen. To use vi is to practice zen. Every command is a koan.
    Profound to the user, unintelligible to the uninitiated. You discover truth
    every time you use it.

Satish Reddy

Linux Newbie
    I was forced to learn vi when I plowed through a Unix/c course back in 1990. It is a great failsafe editor. I still use it much of the time. Once you are family with its modes, it becomes second nature. It is reliable and will always get the job done.

Jeff

Back to command mode then <shift> zz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast