Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
And what do you do when your 6 year old goes outside to play, see's an older kid abusing an inhalent, and tries it himself and dies. We all have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

And what do you do when your 6 year old goes outside to play, see's an older kid abusing an inhalent, and tries it himself and dies. We all have a responsibility to the younger generation, and help provide the tools for them to make proper decisions once they reach adulthood. Sadly, it appears many who have reached that stage don't have that ability.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    I AM a parent, and I pretty much agree with SCO...stupid parents have stupid children who do stupid things, which when caught as in the above article drastically improve the gene pool for the rest of humanity
    Genesus, when your kid drives too fast and gets wrapped around a tree and dies just remember, he or she was a stupid child from stupid parents and got caught doing something stupid and his or her death will drastically improve the gene pool for the rest of humanity.

And by the way, it's spelled plebeian.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    Thanks for the heads up on that. I don't use the stuff, and now never will. Mine are very young, but it's never to early to be informed when it comes to your kids safety and health. Thanks again.
    From the sound of it, this product is not remotely dangerous unless intentionally abused. There is probably an equal if not greater danger posed by common household cleaners. I would just treat Dust-off and similar substances the same way I would treat any other material that is poisonous when ingested or inhaled - keep it out of the reach of small children. As for teenagers - if they want to abuse these chemicals, then removing from your home will not protect them for long. Make sure they know that they are gambling with their health and lives, because the decision is ultimately theirs.

[edit] I just noticed that I missed the second and third pages of this thread. Do you guys have any idea how pathetic you sound? I thought this community was above flame wars.
    \"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces.\" - Sluggy Freelance

Quote Originally Posted by Workaphobia
    Make sure they know that they are gambling with their health and lives, because the decision is ultimately theirs.
    Hi Workaphobia,

I agree, that the responsibility for kid's safety ultimately resides with parents. Having said that, I think Jeff's point was that he really worked very hard trying to keep his kids safe. He tried to be diligent and was doing everything reasonable to educate them about the dangers of illegal substances. And then, just like that, he was broadsided by something he wasn't prepared for... a legal substance that when abused, led to the death of his kid.

I'm sure Jeff is guilt ridden about not being aware of the danger. I know I would be.

I'm thankful to retired1af for posting this. When it comes to my children's safety, I'll take all the help and information I can get.

Ignoring the flame war going on, my 2 cents:

First, a little background. I am 17 years old. I have never tried any drugs (yes, I classify cigarettes and alcohol as drugs), and the vast majority of my friends feel the same way I do.

That said, parental aspects in a situation like this can vary. For example, in my case, I would be horribly offended and annoyed if my parents attempted to monitor everything I did. Why? Simply because I do not need it, and I know I do not. I do my own thing, which is quite safe for me. My parents tend to leave me alone except about school, though they are slowly accepting my feelings towards school.

However, in many cases, kids are not like me. Even looking at my school (a very good public school in a very rich area outside of D.C.), I know tons of kids who do drugs and are the type of people who need strict supervision in all that they do. In these cases, parents may or may not know what their kids are doing, but they should at least have some sort of suspicion, and should try and find out (not infringing on the child's freedom, unless suspicions are confirmed).

What I'm trying to say is that it is impossible to say "All parents need more supervision of their children all the time." This is not true. But in a case-by-case basis, if a parent has good reason to think his child is at risk, then he should do whatever is necessary.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    I AM a parent, and I pretty much agree with SCO...stupid parents have stupid children who do stupid things, which when caught as in the above article drastically improve the gene pool for the rest of humanity
    Genesus, when your kid drives too fast and gets wrapped around a tree and dies just remember, he or she was a stupid child from stupid parents and got caught doing something stupid and his or her death will drastically improve the gene pool for the rest of humanity.

And by the way, it's spelled plebeian.
    Not all stupid people are from stupid parents; however, Cabhan's post hints to, and this is something that I argue as well, that it is better to talk to people, warn them of the consequences, and then let them make their own decisions. When mine wants to climb a tree I warn them of the possible consequences--you might have a lot of fun, however you can also fall and break your leg or much worse--and then let them make up their own minds. This approach does not let the parent control every single detail and aspect of a child's life, which many do with only the best intentions (e.g., parents who control their daughters body and sexuality through stigmatizing negatively their sexual actions and growth); however, it does prevent them from lying and sneaking to do things that I might not approve of. Culturally speaking, this approach is that, by far, favoured by both traditional Native Americans, several sects of Buddhism, and Shinto.

And Dan, I hope that I spelled everything correctly for you
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

And Dan, I hope that I spelled everything correctly for you
    Genesus, I checked it over and you did a commendable job...

I'm sure what you are saying is exactly the dilemma Jeff found himself in.

How can one monitor their kids safety without breaking their spirit. There has to be balance tempered by the age of the child, and the parents willingness to allow a certain amount of exploration.

I might allow my four year old to play in a tree as long as she didn't climb too high, and I would certainly warn her of the dangers, all the while ready to catch her.

On the other hand, when she reaches age 14, and should tell me she and a couple of her friends are going to hitch hike to Atlanta to see a concert, there would be no warnings. The answer would simply be NO, with an explanation of why.

At age fourteen, all of us think we're invincible. Our own demise is inconceivable.

I don't think Jeff's kid was being stupid, he was merely wanting to explore. Unfortunately for him and his family, he'll never get a second chance to avoid his lethal mistake.

Linux Enthusiast
    I'm 13. I know that there are idiots out there, but even though they may be stupid,but:
    Does that mean that their lives are worthless?
    Does it mean that their parents wont suffer if they die?
    Does it mean that they can't change?
    Does it mean that they are ANY less of a person?

No.

Everyone's lives are just as important as anybody else's, so instead of alienating them, bring them in, praise them for good, punish them for the bad, but in the end look out for them. In the end they are what will make the world tomorrow, and an elitist world will be full of hatred, and bad.

My 2 cents

from

onlinebacon

Linux Guru
    * Just a small note to say i've removed a few inappropriate posts from this thread

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for the timely post. I am a retired industrial hygienist. I'm well aware of the hazards. I have been teaching secondary science for 5 years in public schools. It is amazing what kids will try to get a high. Its not always the kids you expect. The goody, goody, geeky, honor students can do it as well.

Never relax your vigilance.

Jeff

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast