Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
U LUCKY B******D. if i could afor a mac id by one. i have a couple friends that have them and i have to say i preffer them over linux. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

U LUCKY B******D. if i could afor a mac id by one. i have a couple friends that have them and i have to say i preffer them over linux. too bad all decent macs these days are like 2500$ and the mac mini sucks. my imods pretty cool tho.

oz
    forum.guy
    Have purchased musical instruments, computer stuff, and some other odds and ends, but had to quit going to eBay... spending far too much money.

Quote Originally Posted by *DEAD*
    alienware that is insanely powerful (the one im looking at right now will probally go for around 2750$ 2 gigs ram 3.2 giggers, still 32 bit intel though )
    Man that laptop sounds powerful, here in Aus, I have seen 3.4 and 3.6 GHZ with 1G ram and X700 cards HP laptops for around AU$3000 (~US$2500), you can add extra 1G ram for around AU$500 (~US$400).

Though, I still like my 3.2 Ghz Toshiba Laptop fine only paid US$2000 for it (not on ebay).

To the original post, I havent bought anything from ebay as i have a fundamental distrust for ecommerce.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    my favorite is RAM for a IBM server I have, old beast quad xeon CPU, only had 512 megs of ram and finding RAM was super super hard for it as its special ram and the model numbers HAVE to be the right ones or it won't work (a 512meg stick of 168Pin EDO 50NS ECC with model number that ends in 07 won't work in the server yet the SAME darn thing but with a difernet model number works)

well the other day I am on there and some dude had 4.6gigs of ram, shipped and purchased came to $75

so server now has 5.2 gigs for not even $100 bucks

Luma

Linux Newbie
    alex where about do u live. Perth by any chance? in 5 weeks im moving from the US home. lol pittsburgh sucks. it rains/snows 3/4s of the time, and since ive been here ive become fat (well not really fat just fat to an Australian, when i go back there on holidays i feel awefully fat and hate taking my shirt off). the school ill be going to is one of those rich f***s schools. id rather go to a public school to be honest. o well, my dads buying me a kick ass laptop for maintaining strait A's for my 4 years here, so i guess some things work out. i hate being land locked tho. i mis the beach

PS. my gaming machine has 8 gigs, but noone seems to believe me. its all custom built and crap, made from old comps. o well, i guess 8 gigs is unheard of these days.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by luma
    well the other day I am on there and some dude had 4.6gigs of ram, shipped and purchased came to $75

so server now has 5.2 gigs for not even $100 bucks

Luma
    That is a nice price for 4.6GB of RAM.

If I buy something on ebay, which is rarely now, I usually buy foreign films that I can't find here in the U.S. I've been lucky so far with receiving what I bought off of ebay.

Haha, the last thing I bought was an auto part for a friend, who never paid up, so I ended up getting a negative feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by *DEAD*
    alex where about do u live. Perth by any chance? in 5 weeks im moving from the US home.
    Im on the other side of the country, a nice little town called Sydney.

If you are moving to Australia, you should check out this company for your laptop, for roughly AU$5000 you can get a desktop P4 3.8 Ghz processor and GF 6800 Ultra with 2x 100 G striped RAID array disks and 1.5 Gig RAM, all packaged into a 17 inch notebook. SInce it uses a desktop processor, i dont see why you cant have a 6xx series pentium processor in it.

I got this info from a PC authority mag, and they say your local comp shop should be able to get one of these beasts for you.

Linux Newbie
    well ive been to sydney, atleast i can say that. im getting a laptop off ebay, so when we go back my dad can claim it as a tax reduction, hence halfing the price. the laptops im looking at have 3.2-3.4 giggers (although id love an AMD), a goforce with 128 MB (more than enough for school, lol. it will be the first time ive ever had a dual boot windows computer, were not allowed to have games, music, and all that crap, so i figure ill make two windows drives, a linux drive, and a shared drive. one windows drive to convince them im clean, 5 gigs or so, one for all my games to be installed onto, 20 gigs, my linux drive of about 25 gigs, and a shared with about 50 should do the trick). basically im also planning to rein hell on them. ive defeated my old school network, time for some new games. lol.

Good luck with raining hell over your school network, youll find that the admins over here (atleast at my old school) arent very bright and very windows centric. They've heard of linux, but are scared to play around with it.

I remember abusing the novell software at my school to send anonymus netmesg commands from DOS. you should have seen the looks on people's faces when a box popped up on screen telling them that they had deleted the c drive and that the admin had been notified. The best one was creating an infinite loop to send such messages to random computers. I never got caught though as I had admin access.

Yeah, we get tax breaks here for IT equipment, sometimes it is possible to double dip and get 75% back from waht you paid. I love the tax system of this country.

Linux Newbie
    It is great at my school, I work with the I.T. department and the head of the department is a great Linux lover so I can side with him when we start arguing with my good friend who only believes Windows is the true desktop environment. I just ask, can you log me onto the Active Directory server? Yeah, fine. It is great, we have just got a load of new servers in, one spare to play with
    The head of the IT department agrees that most IT staff at schools are pretty crap, and I fully support him on that. My friend and I are starting a computer business which is still under development (see the link below) and we have been given the chance to build 22 computers for them to are payment requirments.
    The biggest security threat is the user.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast