Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
I'm curious as to why you would want to learn to use Linux, because sometimes it's very painful! I started because I'm studying Computer Science. I don't think I can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Why do you guys use Linux? What is your job?

I'm curious as to why you would want to learn to use Linux, because sometimes it's very painful! I started because I'm studying Computer Science. I don't think I can call myself a CS student of any respectability without knowing Linux!

Linux Newbie
    i got bored with WinXp and thought to give it a try for my summer holidays ..........................n i am loving it.I was waiting for FC4 tonight but they ditched me by extending the release date to 13th.This was not fair.I formatted my 30 gb partiton containing movies n music to make space for fc4 but now all in vain ..........i cant even cry

Linux Engineer
    I picked up GNU/Linux initially out of boredom, but now I would cite other reasons for using it, primarily because I want to contribute to the free software movement and because I find free UNIX-like operating systems superior to Microsoft Windows in many respects. I don't have a job in computers and I'm not a computer science major, but instead I'm a student majoring in history in college. Computers are just a hobby on the side for me.

I use Linux and FreeBSD at home, and Microsoft Windows XP at work, since I have no choice. I like freedom in my operating system, and by that I mean the choice to use a different window manager on the fly or change my hardware without having to get Microsoft's "blessing". Also, Linux is made for programmers. I write software for a living. I too was a CS student once.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

im a physiotherapy student in bradford and ive been using linux for a year or two now. started using it because i became an expert in reformatting my c: drive and installing AV, firewalls, anti spyware and still getting arse raped everytime i went on the net.
    i still have windows as a dual boot system but i use it purely for playing halflife2 and X2, but every time i use it i feel dirty
    in short its stable and cuts the malware, whilst giving me geek bragging rights and a mystical aura of computer knowledge in pc retards view (even tho i dont )
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463

i just got tired of windows and wanted something new.
    I am also studing IT part time. You canít call yourself an IT expert if the only thing you know is Windows.

Linux User
    windows is:
    boring
    simple (for some people a + for me a -)
    unstable
    crapy
    insecure
    expensive
    and has eliminated the command line :-/, linux is all that and more, even though games are a ***** (im a gamer) its work it, and my desktop is 100x cooler

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by a12ctic
    windows is:
    boring
    unstable
    crapy
    insecure
    expensive
    and has eliminated the command line :-/, linux is all that and more, even though games are a ***** (im a gamer) its work it, and my desktop is 100x cooler
    As long as you know how to install AV software and how to reinstall, it's pretty simple yeah

Myself, I would claim that a lot of linux distros is easier than windows, espesially the install part... Oh well, the last time I saw windows getting installed was win2k so I dunno about the install procedurs of XP. The ultimate phunny would be to get bluescreens during the install, that would rock :rock:

Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    Quote Originally Posted by a12ctic
    windows is:
    boring
    As long as you know how to install AV software and how to reinstall, it's pretty simple yeah
    Sadly, those of us who've had to become intimately familiar with reinstalling XP over the years (it is a 5-year old OS after all) have gotten pretty quick with the usual steps: install OS, install Antivirus, run Windows Update for several hours, install the dozens of different programs from CDs you must dig up amongst your computer desk clutter, configure said programs again, often requiring "product activations". It's a nightmare, trust me.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Sadly, those of us who've had to become intimately familiar with reinstalling XP over the years (it is a 5-year old OS after all) have gotten pretty quick with the usual steps: install OS, install Antivirus, run Windows Update for several hours, install the dozens of different programs from CDs you must dig up amongst your computer desk clutter, configure said programs again, often requiring "product activations". It's a nightmare, trust me.
    Ooh so true, the thoughest thing is to find the cds and the patience to do it over and over again.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast