Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Actually, I beleve most of us is a LOT more hatefull overfor microsoft than over their OS. Just think about it, microsoft are monopolists. They constantly use software patents, the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Actually, I beleve most of us is a LOT more hatefull overfor microsoft than over their OS. Just think about it, microsoft are monopolists. They constantly use software patents, the court and play ugly tricks to get rid of their competitors!
    exactly, i find my linux desktop much more secure, and it tends to run about 10x faster if not more.

Just Joined!
    talking about speed and performance: i have a dual boot windows xp and fedora core 3, xp is way much faster (boot time and performance).. fedora core 3 sometimes just freezes for no reason, i have to press the reset button.. windows xp crashes sometimes but isn't really harmful, but it never just freezes without responding at all..
    talking about tuning the os for performance, windows xp is really a lot easier to tune, i have xp start in about 30 seconds till the desktop while fedora take about 1:30 minutes if not more to gnome..
    also system response on xp is much faster than fedora, sometimes i run an app about 2 or 3 times because i thought i didn't double-click it fast enough..
    until red hat 9 everything was fine..
    actually, fedora can compete with win2k but not with xp..
    hope i didn't break a lot of hearts
    for the rest, the open-source community is great and i appreciate everything done there..
    regards,
    fred

Linux Newbie
    Strange. I have quite the opposite problem.
    I have a Fedora Core 3 machine with a Sempron 1400+ and 368 meg of RAM, and the other hardware is really cheap too. I also use a really expensive computer with the fastest P4 on the market untill recently, 512MB RAM...
    Guess which starts up faster? Fedora Core - every time. FC3 crashes less too.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmorcos
    talking about speed and performance: i have a dual boot windows xp and fedora core 3, xp is way much faster (boot time and performance).. fedora core 3 sometimes just freezes for no reason, i have to press the reset button.. windows xp crashes sometimes but isn't really harmful, but it never just freezes without responding at all..
    talking about tuning the os for performance, windows xp is really a lot easier to tune, i have xp start in about 30 seconds till the desktop while fedora take about 1:30 minutes if not more to gnome..
    also system response on xp is much faster than fedora, sometimes i run an app about 2 or 3 times because i thought i didn't double-click it fast enough..
    until red hat 9 everything was fine..
    actually, fedora can compete with win2k but not with xp..
    hope i didn't break a lot of hearts
    for the rest, the open-source community is great and i appreciate everything done there..
    regards,
    fred
    Maybe if you weren't dual booting you'd see the difference. Even Fedora slows down when it's next to crap. I've ran Linspire 5.0 and it was even faster than XP. And I don't even like Linspire. Windows XP slows down any OS that it is installed next to. Everyone knows that.(except you and 1 million+ people who are still trying to compete with the IQ of dead sheep) Not only that but every person that I've ever heard say that XP was faster was dual booting. Which means 2 things 1. you're still into Microsoft and 2. that you don't have the intelligence to ever be out on you're own.

Linux Guru
    no trolling please

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2