Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I hear a lot of anti-Microsoft talk and am wondering why people consider it so bad? Granted the Windows activation procedure, having IE bundled into the OS, removing DOS from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Windows is rubbish?

I hear a lot of anti-Microsoft talk and am wondering why people consider it so bad? Granted the Windows activation procedure, having IE bundled into the OS, removing DOS from bootup and not being compatible with older systems are viable reasons but the other reasons are all either outdated or is based on personal preference. e.g:

"Windows crashes all the time" - I have had Windows XP Professional for a year now and actually used it as my main OS until I got Linux and I have only gotten a few crashes, all from non-microsoft programs (excluding IE) causing errors.

"Be prepared to install Windows multiple times" - I have only installed Windows XP ONCE and never since as there was no reason to.

"Windows looks ugly compared to Linux" - Thats a matter of personal preference.

"Windows is slow" - The only time my Windows is slow is if its fragmented or I have too many programs running. Other then that Windows XP is quite fast for me. (no, my system isnt state of the art)

"Windows is expensive" - As a home user I have only had to pay for the actual OS and anti-virus, firewall and other protection programs and nothing more.

"Windows does not patch regularly" - Even without the latest patches I have never had my system compromised and since Linux users are mostly smart you should not have any problems either using Windows.

In all Microsoft does not appear to be the terrible OS everyone makes it out to be (don't get me wrong, I prefer Linux over Microsoft), so what is everyones problem with Microsoft?

Ha Ha ...Sarcasm is my favorite form of humor!

Just Joined!
    I wasn't being sarcastic.

Linux Engineer

Re: Windows is rubbish?

Quote Originally Posted by RPG_Gamer
    But in windows you can't do anything about it, X is generally built to be customizable

"Windows is slow" - The only time my Windows is slow is if its fragmented or I have too many programs running. Other then that Windows XP is quite fast for me. (no, my system isnt state of the art)
    Have you tried it at older hardware? Lots of peaple have beutifully working linux computers which probably would'nt even be able to boot XP

"Windows is expensive" - As a home user I have only had to pay for the actual OS and anti-virus, firewall and other protection programs and nothing more.
    Isn't that enough? And think about all the extra apps not included on the CD, what about MS Word and Excel and Photoshop and all that? And games? In linux, you'll find almost everything you need on the CD or extremely easily available. And as were speaking, in linux you wouldn't even need those AV/spyware/etc-tools anyway

"Windows does not patch regularly" - Even without the latest patches I have never had my system compromised and since Linux users are mostly smart you should not have any problems either using Windows.
    Are you sure your connected to the internet?

In all Microsoft does not appear to be the terrible OS everyone makes it out to be (don't get me wrong, I prefer Linux over Microsoft), so what is everyones problem with Microsoft?
    Actually, I beleve most of us is a LOT more hatefull overfor microsoft than over their OS. Just think about it, microsoft are monopolists. They constantly use software patents, the court and play ugly tricks to get rid of their competitors!

Linux Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    But in windows you can't do anything about it, X is generally built to be customizable
    ditto

Have you tried it at older hardware? Lots of peaple have beutifully working linux computers which probably would'nt even be able to boot XP
    You forgot that for Longhorn you need a DirectX 9.0c compatable video card just to look at the desktop!

Isn't that enough? And think about all the extra apps not included on the CD, what about MS Word and Excel and Photoshop and all that? And games? In linux, you'll find almost everything you need on the CD or extremely easily available. And as were speaking, in linux you wouldn't even need those AV/spyware/etc-tools anyway
    ditto

Actually, I beleve most of us is a LOT more hatefull overfor microsoft than over their OS. Just think about it, microsoft are monopolists. They constantly use software patents, the court and play ugly tricks to get rid of their competitors!
    ditto

Just Joined!

Did you read the beginning of my post?

Isn't that enough? And think about all the extra apps not included on the CD, what about MS Word and Excel and Photoshop and all that? And games? In linux, you'll find almost everything you need on the CD or extremely easily available.[/quote]

Using my friends old Office CD with his old CD key. Also I have no need for photoshop. As for games I have tons of roms with emulators to play them (they are legal as long as the said rom is not available in market anymore)

Are you sure your connected to the internet?[/quote]

Thats a stupid question.

I think that is the incentive for most to make the switch.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtVelocity
    I think that is the incentive for most to make the switch.
    Not for individuals, but mainly for businesses/corporations and governments, which seem to be leading the migration.

"Windows crashes all the time" - I have had Windows XP Professional for a year now and actually used it as my main OS until I got Linux and I have only gotten a few crashes, all from non-microsoft programs (excluding IE) causing errors.
    Ever heard of exaggeration? When we say "all the time" we don't really mean "all the time". Just once every 10 minutes

"Be prepared to install Windows multiple times" - I have only installed Windows XP ONCE and never since as there was no reason to.
    I've never heard that quote. But then again considering every release I guess you would have to.

True but at least when I don't like that preference I can change something other than the desktop wallpaper.

More like if you have ANY programs running. Try running that same computer without Windows and with Linux instead. Then you will see the true meaning of haste

LOL. And I paid for absolutely none of that, so don't you feel stupid.

You're right we are smart. But you're also wrong. We do have problems with it. We want a safe computer that we can make better or worse. We don't want just the crap that Microsoft wants us to buy.

Terrible is an understatement. Sorry but I like to chose what I want on my computer not what Microsoft wants on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_The_Lionhearted
    Ever heard of exaggeration? When we say "all the time" we don't really mean "all the time". Just once every 10 minutes

I've never heard that quote. But then again considering every release I guess you would have to.

True but at least when I don't like that preference I can change something other than the desktop wallpaper.

More like if you have ANY programs running. Try running that same computer without Windows and with Linux instead. Then you will see the true meaning of haste

LOL. And I paid for absolutely none of that, so don't you feel stupid.

You're right we are smart. But you're also wrong. We do have problems with it. We want a safe computer that we can make better or worse. We don't want just the crap that Microsoft wants us to buy.

Terrible is an understatement. Sorry but I like to chose what I want on my computer not what Microsoft wants on my computer.
    Exactly. Try installing Windows XP on a computer with under 128 MB RAM. Then sit there and wait a hour and a half until it actually reboots so you can go back into linux. My work computer, which I am on right now, is a Pentium 3 at 450MHZ with 128 MB RAM running Windows XP. Only running Firefox, I type a sentence, start another one, the first one finally comes up.
    Today I fell and felt better, Just knowing this matters, I just feel stronger and SHARPER!!!, Found a box of sharp objects, What a beautiful THING!!! Box of Sharp Objects - The Used

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast