Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I know we "started" to talk about it here , but more people look at the coffee lounge, so here it is.. http://www.debian.org/News/2005/20050606 The Debian Project is pleased to announce ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Sarge is released!!

I know we "started" to talk about it here, but more people look at the coffee lounge, so here it is..
    http://www.debian.org/News/2005/20050606
    The Debian Project is pleased to announce the official release of Debian GNU/Linux version 3.1 codenamed ``sarge'' after nearly three years of constant development. Debian GNU/Linux is a free operating system which supports a total of eleven processor architectures, includes KDE, GNOME and GNUstep desktop environments, features cryptographic software, is compatible with the FHS v2.3, and supports software developed for the LSB.
    My comments are
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

This will definetly help the Debian foundation seeing as how less jokes can be made about it being "ancient". One thing that does bother me (and always has about Debian) is the amount of CD's (if you don't want to do an net install). 14 CD's?!?!? I'm sorry but that is a bit much for me.

With that said (it is my only beef with Debian), I am glad to see Sarge released.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Newbie

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    I never used Debian but it was time to release something new. 14 CDs??
    Linux registered user #358842
    Human knowledge belongs to the world.

Linux Engineer
    Indeed, I am excited. Just downloaded the net-install CD.

Hi - thanks for this. You realise that now I'll need another hard drive. I swore I wouldn't dual (or triple) boot again, but this is tempting. I want to see if the installer is any good!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Engineer
    This is good news! So now sarge is stable... Whats the current "sid" going to be named?

Also, you wont need the 14 CDs... You'll do fine with netinstall, the 14 (thought it was 7 with woody) only contain packages fetchable over APT... So that means you only need all those CDs if you don't have internet connection on the box you're installing at, and need every fetchable application for some weird reason...

Actually, when I tried woody from CDs once, it only used 4 of the 7 CDs even when I selected them all (at least I think so).

Just Joined!
    It's very good thing... woody can now retire itself
    Long life to Sarge, but not too long, Etch is already growing

Finally, a new STABLE Debian. Maybe now I can play with "Etch". Haha. On a side note, GREAT LEAPING LIZARDS BATMAN, 29 CDS (with source)?!?! This looks like a job for LinuxCD.org.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    This is good news! So now sarge is stable... Whats the current "sid" going to be named?.
    I *think* that sid is going to stay sid, while testing become etch.
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast