Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everybody. This looks like a friendly forum. To introduce myself - I have actually only owned a PC for about 8 months, and a friend of mine convinced me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hello from another new user

Hello everybody. This looks like a friendly forum.

To introduce myself - I have actually only owned a PC for about 8 months, and a friend of mine convinced me to try Linux, and now I'm hooked, if not obsessed with it.

I have only an old 450Mhz Pentium III, with 2 hard-drives. Currently I have installed SuSE 9.1, Window$ 2000, Mandrake 9.2 and Xandros 3.

As my signature tells you, I'm looking for the 'perfect' distro, but since I finally got my scanner (an Epson 2480) to work, in Mandrake at least, am getting closer and closer to dumping Windows. In fact, if it falls over one more time....

Anyway, here in Australia computer magazines come out with cover CD's and DVD's, some from the USA and England as well as here, so it's pretty easy to get new distributions to try. I assume it's the same everywhere.

I put Fedora Core 3 in at one stage, but it didn't work the way I wanted it to, and Mepis couldn't connect to the internet. Being new I need things to work straight away. But I'm learning.

One question I would like to ask - what's wrong with Xandros? I never see it mentioned in any forums. I put it in because everything did work straight away. Also it's the only one that recognises the other Operating Systems I have installed, and configured the boot loader automatically, so that everything boots from there. I just could not get that to work in SuSE.
    It seems difficult to install other applications into, but apart from that, is there some general bias against it, and if so, for what reason?

Thanks for reading my long intro,

Petern

Hello petern, I hope you have fun here. :P
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the board, petern - hope you have a great time here!

Yeah, the people here are much friendlier than at a lot of other forums...

hi petern welcome to the forum

Linux Engineer
    IIRC Xandros is just designed to help people migrate from winwoes to GNU/Linux. And I'm pretty sure it has quite a bit of proprietary things in it.

Melbourne is an awesome city. I was there two years ago, can't wait to go back!

Welcome

welcome pertern! I spent a long time searching for the best distro too, but in the end i think it comes down to personal preference. Different distros have often prioritize different aspects of the overall package.

anyway, have fun here...
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

Just Joined!

Thanks for the welcome

The subject says it all.

Melbourne is a beautiful city, even though Australia has had a drought for the last 8 years.

I think Debian is the next one to try.

Linux Engineer
    Welcome to the forums petern!

Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    IIRC Xandros is just designed to help people migrate from winwoes to GNU/Linux. And I'm pretty sure it has quite a bit of proprietary things in it.
    it does have a lot of proprietary stuff in it, and its also really expensive. i certainly cant stretch my budget that far.
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463