Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Originally Posted by jamey112 fedora core 3 detected my ati card right away. the tv tuner still doesn't work though. thinking of switching distros though, so i'm not that worried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by jamey112
    fedora core 3 detected my ati card right away. the tv tuner still doesn't work though. thinking of switching distros though, so i'm not that worried about it right now.
    It detects ATI cards just fine, using the 2D open-source 'radeon' driver. Try getting it to do 3D acceleration (required by most commercial games) and you're looking at a whole different can of worms.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

My Radeon 9000 works well with no driver problems - Perhaps it's because I'm strong in the ways of the source ...
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    MS Windows (Sith) and Linux (Jedi)
    Actually, I think it's the other way around, with Linux I have more power over the computer and I am now more passionate about programming, which makes me more a Sith than a Jedi (a Sith without the force-powers, without the lightsaber, without Natalie Portman nude in my bed. *sigh*)

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth
    Actually, I think it's the other way around, with Linux I have more power over the computer and I am now more passionate about programming, with makes me more a Sith than a Jedi
    Chancellor Palpatine: "To be truly powerful, you must study both sides of the source..."
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    My beef against ATI is the lack of FreeBSD binary drivers. I feel that nvidia has done a fantastic job with their linux drivers, and I've had a really good experience with them on FreeBSD (with the exception of this nforce2 board). I don't care what ATI cards can possibly do better than nvidia cards; I'm sticking with nvidia because I like what the company does on the software end of things...it gives me the warm fuzzies.

sith and jedi? that is?
    Today I fell and felt better, Just knowing this matters, I just feel stronger and SHARPER!!!, Found a box of sharp objects, What a beautiful THING!!! Box of Sharp Objects - The Used

sith and jedi? that is?
    i find your lack of knowledge disturbing old man.......
    its star wars my padawan.
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    fedora core 3 detected my ati card right away. the tv tuner still doesn't work though. thinking of switching distros though, so i'm not that worried about it right now.
    It detects ATI cards just fine, using the 2D open-source 'radeon' driver. Try getting it to do 3D acceleration (required by most commercial games) and you're looking at a whole different can of worms.
    Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne worked better than on winwoes on my Radeon 9100 on Fedora Core 3 with Cedega.

Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne worked better than on winwoes on my Radeon 9100 on Fedora Core 3 with Cedega.
    Congratulations, now go play the lottery. Yours is not the common case, from my experience.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by eatinglemur
    My beef against ATI is the lack of FreeBSD binary drivers. I feel that nvidia has done a fantastic job with their linux drivers, and I've had a really good experience with them on FreeBSD (with the exception of this nforce2 board). I don't care what ATI cards can possibly do better than nvidia cards; I'm sticking with nvidia because I like what the company does on the software end of things...it gives me the warm fuzzies.
    To be honest, I would be using amd64 and nvidia if I should get a new computer, it's just that my box has a 32bit pentium3 and a ATI Radeon, so I think I'll just save that for my next computer... By the way DRI works fine for ATI under freebsd too.

PS: I might sound like I'm making DRI commercials, but I just had to tell the world, it's a good project

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast