Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Originally Posted by jamey112 Uhhh... what are those? comedies........ Comedy? What's that? You mean like The Princess Bride?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jamey112
    Uhhh... what are those?
    comedies........
    Comedy? What's that? You mean like The Princess Bride?

Linux User
    humm this thread got really off topic ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by eatinglemur
    Quote Originally Posted by jamey112
    Uhhh... what are those?
    comedies........
    Comedy? What's that? You mean like The Princess Bride?
    kinda of, but not 20 years old :P
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

why would you use a ati express board. those are along the lines of via boards. for around 86$ you can get a nice foxconn nforce4(standard) board which will probobly get more performance out of that expensive chip. about the chip. you could get away with a 3200 venice for about 80$ less and realy get about the same out of it. the only actual differences is the 11x multiplyer of the 3200 and 15x of the 3500. thats of course if you can get it up that high.and of course your vid card choice is poor because ati sucks. even on windows they are inferior
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    why would you use a ati express board. those are along the lines of via boards.
    I have no trouble with my VIA8237 board, and I've never had any issues with VIA boards in the past. The same cannot be said for nforce boards, in my experience.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    nforce boards are currently unstable, and total s***, my freind had to return his cause it wouldnt pick up anything in his pci slots, theres also several also problems with them (more common problems)

The ati XT850 256mb, has been tested and outperfroms ANY nvidia card by about 10 fps in almost any game[/u][/i]

Linux Newbie
    ok, you picked out bad parts imo. this is what you should get:

3200+ venice
    dfi ultra-d nforce4
    6600gt
    as much ram as you can get
    whatever size hd(s) you need
    good psu- anything by antec, fortron, or ocz

x700 are more expensive than the 6600gt, aren't as good with games, lack good linux drivers, AND don't have pixel shader 3, which is what all future games will be using. a 3200 venice will oc MUCH better than a newcastle, people easily get them to 2.6 on air, just make sure you get some as5 and a good heatsink. if you can't afford 1gb of ram, get 2x256 so you can run dual-channel, plus 512mb ram will oc better than 1gb of ram due to the tighter latencies. you need a good psu (most that come in stock cases are complete crap) so when you upgrade later you'll have enough power to do so.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by a12ctic
    nforce boards are currently unstable, and total s***, my freind had to return his cause it wouldnt pick up anything in his pci slots, theres also several also problems with them (more common problems)

The ati XT850 256mb, has been tested and outperfroms ANY nvidia card by about 10 fps in almost any game[/u][/i]
    all the best amd mobos are nforce currently. the chances of having a problematic one are 1 in 1000, just like with any product ever sold.

the x850xt RIGHT NOW is the best video card, but once some future games come out it will be completely crippled due to its lack of pixel shader 3. i wouldn't buy any ati video card right now until the r520 core comes out, which will have pixel shader 3 support.

To recap my main points:

1. ATI Linux drivers are substandard, particularly in comparison to Nvidia's Linux drivers. You *may* have no trouble getting them to work, but evidence in this very forum suggests you have a much better chance at getting an Nvidia card working in Linux.

2. ATI and Nvidia IMO are about even as far as hardware performance, but the thing that tips the scales for me is driver support. What good is having "the best card" on the market when you can't run it with all its features (shaders, etc) or even run it at all?

3. Nforce boards (nforce2 and 3) have given me trouble in the past, however I recently built an AMD64 system using an Nforce4 board and have not had any trouble as of yet. I generally tip toward VIA and SiS boards because I've had no trouble in Linux with them in the past.

4. All things considered, it's up to the end user. If you're bound and determined to buy ATI, then there's nothing we can say that will convince you otherwise. Just know that whatever you purchase, you'll have to deal with, and if you purchase something that isn't supported well in Linux by the manufacturer, you can't expect this forum to be able to help you either. I hope you enjoy your new box, whatever OS and hardware you choose.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

well via boards are pretty much gunna work well, but not the best. they are mostly desighned for cheaper boards that just need to work and work right away. but the nforce 4 boards are most arguably the best performers as far as statistics go. suprisingl the new uli boards that are starting to come over to america now are actualy on par with the nforce 4 for a much lower price.

but as techimoe said. if you want ati products then go ahead and buy them. we cant stop you. but know this, they dont realy care about you, and they want to be best friends with microsoft.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast