Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I noticed something funny while thumbing through some tech magazines the other day. While most Linux mags focus on upcoming trends and new software, many Windows mags have multiple sections, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

magazines

I noticed something funny while thumbing through some tech magazines the other day. While most Linux mags focus on upcoming trends and new software, many Windows mags have multiple sections, articles, and often cover stories on flaws, bugs, or generally ways to improve a flailing Windows...

which is necessary for a windows user. i need to go out and get some linux mags. any recommendations?
    Today I fell and felt better, Just knowing this matters, I just feel stronger and SHARPER!!!, Found a box of sharp objects, What a beautiful THING!!! Box of Sharp Objects - The Used

Just Joined!
    I personally think Linux Pro Mag is very informative.

thats is one of the main difference between linux and windows.
    for win to work pretty well it takes constant maintenance and updates which i think is wasting resources. linux on the other hand is rock solid, leaving time more for other things.

i am getting kind of bored not having to run spyware detection, registry mechanics, disk clean ups, etc.
    Today I fell and felt better, Just knowing this matters, I just feel stronger and SHARPER!!!, Found a box of sharp objects, What a beautiful THING!!! Box of Sharp Objects - The Used

Linux Newbie
    linux and windows magazines are geared towards different kinds of people, and those people are looking for different things. linux is really riding the wave, so it's natural for the magazines to focus on all the new things going on (there seems to be an endless supply of them). Personally, I'd like to read a good linux magazine that takes a more well rounded and mature approach and not just focusing on flashy stuff.

I'd like to ask: What is a good linux magazine that focuses more on news and culture than technology? I like the technology, but I get exposed to it every day, and I'd rather use a magazine for leisure reading than to learn something useful.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by eatinglemur
    linux and windows magazines are geared towards different kinds of people, and those people are looking for different things. linux is really riding the wave, so it's natural for the magazines to focus on all the new things going on (there seems to be an endless supply of them). Personally, I'd like to read a good linux magazine that takes a more well rounded and mature approach and not just focusing on flashy stuff.

I'd like to ask: What is a good linux magazine that focuses more on news and culture than technology? I like the technology, but I get exposed to it every day, and I'd rather use a magazine for leisure reading than to learn something useful.
    Leisure reading? Culture? I think you need more of a dictinairy or something than a linux mag... I did'nt get this one fully, what did you mean Maybe linux journal if you meant reviews of apps, news about the kernel, some guides to different stuff and some other different stuff...

Anyway, I have been reading some of linux journal and tuxmagazine, but as soon as I can afford it I would buy linux format or something like that so I would have something to get my brain busy with for some hours.

Quote Originally Posted by jamey112
    i am getting kind of bored not having to run spyware detection, registry mechanics, disk clean ups, etc.
    As was once recommended to me, start compiling from source. That should give you something to do.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by psic
    As was once recommended to me, start compiling from source. That should give you something to do.
    Did that for years in FreeBSD...it really does cure boredom! You basically sit and do nothing and still get to feel really productive.

oz
    forum.guy

Re: magazines

Quote Originally Posted by jaredsr05
    While most Linux mags focus on upcoming trends and new software, many Windows mags have multiple sections, articles, and often cover stories on flaws, bugs, or generally ways to improve a flailing Windows...
    Regarding Windows mags, I used to subscribe to PCWorld but stopped because it rarely ever mentioned Linux, and usually about 7 or 8 pages out of 10 were nothing more than advertisements.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast