Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I think not logging in as root should be stressed...honestly, I can't see why it even needs to be done in the first place. When I started out with linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

I think not logging in as root should be stressed...honestly, I can't see why it even needs to be done in the first place.

When I started out with linux back in the day (2001 ), I also had that bad habit of using as root, but that was because I didn't understand file permissions, and the problems I encountered with them caused me to use that naughty hack. Of course, now I've matured a bit and seen the light. In fact, I hardly su anymore, but rather have come to rely much more on sudo for daily purposes (I don't root that often). I feel secure.

Quote Originally Posted by psic
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    PS: I always liked those funny distro comments...
    Me too. It just makes you smile. I wish more distros told you when you did stupid things. Windows just hits you on the head with a club and commits suicide.

Hmmm... I can hear it now, with Hal's voice:
    I'm sorry, Dave. I can't do that. It's just too stupid.

A couple of years ago I tried to compile Midnight Commander from source, and I was root to start with. When I ran ./configure it said - "Don't f**k**g do that as root!!"

By the way - thanks for the above posts about sudo. I will look into using that more often: I'm often root, though haven't screwed up too badly yet.

Nearly fell of me chair
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozar
    hehe... don't know if they still do this or not, but Mandrake used to have a very bright blood-red background when you'd log into X as root.

It was so alarming and ugly you really couldn't work in it effectively.
    It's good like that, plus it disables things like desktop icons and right clicks, cos if you're root you shouldn't need them. Anything to convince the user it's a bad idea. And the big dialog saying "You have logged in as root which is a very bad idea" with a logout button on it.

It did work subliminally on me, I haven't done it in recent memory.

i want my pc to tell me im stupid!! what are some good IRC chat rooms btw?
    Today I fell and felt better, Just knowing this matters, I just feel stronger and SHARPER!!!, Found a box of sharp objects, What a beautiful THING!!! Box of Sharp Objects - The Used

I am really glad i told me that, as I had no clue it was that big of a deal. Apparently I need to go studying up on file permissions.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jamey112
    #linuxforums on irc.freenode.net

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by sether
    Quote Originally Posted by jamey112
    #linuxforums on irc.freenode.net
    Lots of good stuff on freenode. I don't boher with any other network..

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    It's good like that, plus it disables things like desktop icons and right clicks, cos if you're root you shouldn't need them. Anything to convince the user it's a bad idea. And the big dialog saying "You have logged in as root which is a very bad idea" with a logout button on it.
    In addition the menu button is so small that you hardly find it... Also, if you hold in backspace it only counts as you pressed it once.

The main thing that taught me being root was evil was the fact that I'd always edit akissner's (my) files as root, and then when I was just plain akissner, I'd get permission denied errors...

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    The main thing that taught me being root was evil was the fact that I'd always edit akissner's (my) files as root, and then when I was just plain akissner, I'd get permission denied errors...
    Yeah, met that one very often when I was on fedora some (about months back... I compiled the whole stuff as root in my home-directory, and did'nt have the permissions to remove the files, and as root, I never heard about the "rm -rf folder" options, I only knew about "rpm -R folder" which asked a hell a lot of questions... So I simply started nautilus/konqueror as root just to be able to clean up in my home dir! Then I found out that it was possible to compile as a user and only install as root

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast