Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Hey if it works for you (even though its crap) use it! Only reason I keep it is for games and I may need it for college. If i don't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hey if it works for you (even though its crap) use it! Only reason I keep it is for games and I may need it for college. If i don't its gonna disapear from my pc .[/i]

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    yes, thats probrably the only good thing about windows. Its practically free money fixing those poor little machines.
    I wouldn't go that far.
    some of these machines we have to fix can be pretty difficult.
    I spent 5 hours cleaning a system once.
    Having to root all the crap out of the worst designed piece of software I have ever seen, the Windows registry.
    And if you miss one file, save and close. That one file can repliicate itself, and you are back to square one. Not what I would call easy money.
    easy enough for me

i have a feeling that half the people on this forum have a job/side job "cleaning up the competition"

do you guys actualy dig through there and remove all the bad files and replace them with good ones? whenever i had a problem with my windows i just figured it was nearly imposible to search through everything and reset it to the way it was on day one. so i alway just wiped it and started fresh. when you do this about every 6 months you eventualy find yourself storing everything in about three big locations and copying eveything you want or need to a cd and puting it back on after the reinstall. there has got to be no posssible way to actualy "remove" the bad without dying of old age first.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

IT COSTS 100$ WOOT
    I may be wrong, but last I looked XP Pro was closer to $300 USD

the worst designed piece of software I have ever seen, the Windows registry.
    I couldn't agree more. The registry is the Achilles heel. Just a matter of time before it gets corrupted...

Man and I just promised myself I'd stop wasting anyone else's time on here talking about windows again.....this is my last one...I can quit....I promise....just watch....I can leave it alone anytime....arrgghh

Just Joined!
    Advantages of windows? Full game support. Easy to have two audio output devices and set different programs to different devices. Excellent ATI video card performance. (as opposed to abysmal in linux) Direct3D and support for games that go with it. Straight-foward .exe installers. Easier to adjust some settings, eg anything to do with graphics. (noone has been able to tell me how to enable AA/AF/vsync/tb etc... and I can't change res without editing a file and rebooting.)

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    do you guys actualy dig through there and remove all the bad files and replace them with good ones? whenever i had a problem with my windows i just figured it was nearly imposible to search through ....
    I actually never use the (very helpful) tools from Symantec or whoever. Fine at work we'll probably run the tool or reimage a bad machine but when I'm on a nixer it's a one on one!! I root that stuff out myself, and to be honest there's pretty much one pattern to all of the viruses - they all need to be in a startup position so usually %userprofile%\Startmenu\Programs\startup or in the registry in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows|current Version\Run. It's just a matter of doing things in the right order to prevent propagation.

The real problem is the registry itself - it's a badly designed (or conceived I should say) database which does not rebuild itself. So every time there is growth in the file, it is not reindexed to shrink. The registry needs to live in memory so the older the install the slower it gets. Almost everytime the harddisk clicks away it's banging in more info into it.Every boot, every config change, every install. Just a bad idea - all of your eggs in one basket.

Linux Newbie
    Hey! Its summertime. This teacher is "all linux, all the time".

Jeff

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlydave
    Advantages of windows? Full game support. Easy to have two audio output devices and set different programs to different devices. Excellent ATI video card performance. (as opposed to abysmal in linux) Direct3D and support for games that go with it. Straight-foward .exe installers. Easier to adjust some settings, eg anything to do with graphics. (noone has been able to tell me how to enable AA/AF/vsync/tb etc... and I can't change res without editing a file and rebooting.)
    Hey now! Only half of that is true - Direct 3D will always live on Windows because it's MS! what about OpenGL? And res changes don't require a reboot - only X needs to be restarted.
    Once the monitor is configured (for which there are many graphical tools) you can use things like system tray res tools in KDE that will dynamically do it for you. And as for ATI - ATI just always made bad drivers regardless of platform, though that's changing now. Now Games and sounds I'll leave you with - though things like GStreamer are rapidly changing the sound front.

It's commonplace for people to describe configuration in terms of command line or editing files because theses are more universal ways of fixing things, whereas graphical tools have grown seperately on different distros. SuSE, Mandrake anf Fedora will let you do huge amounts without ever straying from the GUI.

Quote Originally Posted by Curlydave
    Excellent ATI video card performance. (as opposed to abysmal in linux)
    This is ATI's fault, not Linux.

Easier to adjust some settings, eg anything to do with graphics. (noone has been able to tell me how to enable AA/AF/vsync/tb etc... and I can't change res without editing a file and rebooting.)
    If you have an Nvidia card, the easiest way to tweak your AA/AF/vsync is with the built-in nvidia-settings command. It pops up a pretty GUI window for you similar to the "Desktop->Properties->Display->Advanced" window in MS Windows.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by benplaut
    i have a feeling that half the people on this forum have a job/side job "cleaning up the competition"
    yeah, i get some good cash on the side just because of windows, and i usualy take the easy way out - fromat and reload.

what would we do without it ?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast