Find the answer to your Linux question:
Brought a brand spanking new motherboard, cpu, memory for my sister the other day. Installed it and re-formatted her hard-disk. I then installed winXP and all drivers. Out of the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Use linux to fix windows

Brought a brand spanking new motherboard, cpu, memory for my sister the other day. Installed it and re-formatted her hard-disk. I then installed winXP and all drivers. Out of the blue the pc reset and I got an error msg “hal.dll corrupt” and winXP couldn’t boot.

So I was about to reformat again then I thought “Ah, knoppix”. So I stuck the knoppix cd in, booted up, loaded firefox and searched the web for the answer. Found what I had to do (log into the winXP recovery console and type buildcfg /rebuild) and all worked fine after that.

Just though it was funny that I had to use a linux distro to enable me to fix a windows problem. Oh and I found myself typing linux commands at the recovery console too. Very frustrating.
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Yep, the Knoppix / Ubuntu (and probably others) live cds are perfect for this sort of thing.

The best way i found to fix Windows using Linux is to install Linux over Windows.
    And Windows will be cured PERMANENTLY!!!!!
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

I customized and remastered the sysresccd live CD so that it has the necessary drivers to use captive ntfs mounting natively (read-write access to NTFS partitions using Windows system files) among other things. It's amazing how useful it is to be able to overwrite system files on broken Windows machines "on the fly".
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Also, as an important note, just add an ls.bat file to your Windows path that runs "dir /p". I found that the ability to type "ls" at the commandline made life FAR easier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    I customized and remastered the sysresccd live CD so that it has the necessary drivers to use captive ntfs mounting natively (read-write access to NTFS partitions using Windows system files) among other things. It's amazing how useful it is to be able to overwrite system files on broken Windows machines "on the fly".
    Could you give me a link to it
    \"TTFN Taa Taa For Now\" by Tigger in Winnie the Pooh
    http://www.distrowatch.com Linux Distros
    We Live in a Windows World but there is Linux to save the day

Sorry, I can't distribute it...same reasons that sysresccd doesn't come with working captive ntfs. Since there is an existing license for those Windows system files, I can use them - if I give them to someone else, though, it's a breach of the licensing agreement.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    Also, as an important note, just add an ls.bat file to your Windows path that runs "dir /p". I found that the ability to type "ls" at the commandline made life FAR easier for me.
    i used the ls batch file when i was in a class all about DOS. instructor kept asking me why i was typing ls instead of dir. i thought it was alot easier.
    Today I fell and felt better, Just knowing this matters, I just feel stronger and SHARPER!!!, Found a box of sharp objects, What a beautiful THING!!! Box of Sharp Objects - The Used

Linux User
    my freind installed windows on linux (used setup.exe wit wine)

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by a12ctic
    my freind installed windows on linux (used setup.exe wit wine)
    BLASPHEMY!!!