Find the answer to your Linux question:
i think that credit card people discriminate against you cuz of your age...how the hell are you supposed to build credit when no one will give you a card? dont ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

no discrimination on credit cards.....(yeah right)

i think that credit card people discriminate against you cuz of your age...how the hell are you supposed to build credit when no one will give you a card? dont make no sense..
    ive applied for like 15 credit cards since i was 18 im now 20 still havent gotten ONE.and of course they all say not enough credit history and so on.....such B.S!
    the best card i could get is a visa but i have to pay a 29.99 processing fee and $50 fee will appear on my first statement and my credit line is only $50...oh yeah..i can do soooooooooooo much with a prepaid $50 visa...
    *sighs*

oz
    forum.guy
    i think that credit card people discriminate against you cuz of your age...
    Yeah, but they aren't declining you because of age, it's because you have no credit history. It wouldn't matter if you were 50 years old, they still wouldn't give you a credit card with no credit history.

Linux Newbie
    You must have BAD credit. When I was 18 I had 20,000 in credit cards. I had like 8 or 9 cards... best buy, circuit city, compusa, discover #1, discover #2, and more....
    Don't think that is a good thing. It took me 5 years to pay all that off. I was working 40-50 hours a week and going to school 18 hours a week. I had no life.. * sigh *

Apply for Capital One and/or Discover.
    You will get a hight interst rate but if you pay it off every month as I do now it will drop really fast.
    Most of my cards have a high limit and about 3.9 to 6.9% intrest.
    Get a gas card even. Only use it for gas and pay it off every month. After 4-6 months of doing that you should be able to get any card you need.
    Keep in mind they take how much you make a month/year, not only age. Age equals how mature you are. When I was 18 I maxed out 20 grand.
    I am not the only young person that does that.
    Many things are like that. Take car insurance for ie:
    It is more for a male until the age of 25 or married + driving record.
    Why? Who is more mature at 18? Male or Female? I should say who is more likely to fly down the road doing 120mph+ in a 30mph speed limit.
    For that matter burn through a set of good tires in a parking lot
    You get the idea...
    Also don't apply for more than 6 cards a year. Strive for less. The more you apply the more it hurts you.
    Well... Good luck and don't be foolish..
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Plato

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    You will get a hight interst rate but if you pay it off every month as I do now it will drop really fast.
    How about not buying anything unless the money is already
    in your account ? Then you don't pay any interest rate at all

if you buy a car and get it financed then pay it off on time then you will quickly build up a credit history and the invitations will come flowing in. they will probobly start you at $500 limit or so and charge a 50 dollar yearly fee but if you dont screw it up then they will quickly raise your limit and lower your rates. the basic idea is the car is a great way to build credit. the same goes for a house. but dont be late or stop paing because then ou end up screwing yourself.

it takes 7 years for anything to disapere of your crewdit history. unless you feel bad and try to pay it off like 4 years after it happened. then the people will re submit it to the credit agency right after you pay and the 7 year time starts over but it stil looks bad because its 4 freakin years late. so you just screwed yourself for 11 years even though you paid it off. so if you apply for bancrupcy (the thing you do when you cant pay your debt) you wont owe anyone anything but it basicly destroys your credit. dont pay back any money after that. you dont owe them anything after backrupcy. they get a tax rightoff to compensate them and you get slammed with bad credit.

sorry. got of topic there.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Linux Newbie
    My 19 year old daughter received a very good card deal from Capital One. She has no interest for the first six months and a $500 limit.

She is a sophomore in college. I don't know whether that made a difference or not.

She had no previous credit history and only part time jobs.

ya, and they are expecting her to go max it out and owe them intrst rates after the first six months. they dont think she will be able to pay off the expendatures and have to pay some high intrest rates. besides, capital one is terrible. they report the total total charge of the card to the credit agencys like normal but they dont report the max interest rate. this ends up making it look like the person just simply owes money and isnt paing it off. rahter than it looking like a regular credit card it looks like unpaid debt. this can seriously cripple your credit report. its believed they do this in order to keep costomers from switching to another credit line.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa's little helper
    How about not buying anything unless the money is already
    in your account ? Then you don't pay any interest rate at all
    Note: I said pay it off every month. Granted I should have said that if you do pay it off every month then who cares about interest rates for you will not pay on that.

Quote Originally Posted by jlgreer1
    My 19 year old daughter received a very good card deal from Capital One. She has no interest for the first six months and a $500 limit.

She is a sophomore in college. I don't know whether that made a difference or not.

She had no previous credit history and only part time jobs.
    Yes but look at the interest rate after 6 months. It does accumulate over 6 months.
    Many cards give you that option. I am sure she even has low blance transfers and maybe even a few more. They probably beat her over the head to pay that insurance which I can't say is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    ya, and they are expecting her to go max it out and owe them intrst rates after the first six months. they dont think she will be able to pay off the expendatures and have to pay some high intrest rates. besides, capital one is terrible. they report the total total charge of the card to the credit agencys like normal but they dont report the max interest rate. this ends up making it look like the person just simply owes money and isnt paing it off. rahter than it looking like a regular credit card it looks like unpaid debt. this can seriously cripple your credit report. its believed they do this in order to keep costomers from switching to another credit line.
    They do expect this of her. It is very common for a student to do so.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Plato