Find the answer to your Linux question:
freedos? theres a 32 bit v. now, i was just wondering if anyones treid it...?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

anyone ever tried...

freedos? theres a 32 bit v. now, i was just wondering if anyones treid it...?

Linux Engineer
    Nope I havent tried it... But if you want to try it before wanting to install, I'm pretty sure you can test a machine emulator like qemu, if not just running dosbox is enough

Linux User
    ya cause they say its simular to dos before fat32.. i used to like dos, but i want a desktop and sh*t...

Linux Newbie
    DOS is nothing compared to UNIX.

It's true that DOS is poor compared to UNIX, any of the shells could whoop DOS. Though call me vanilla but I love BASH. The DOS files system is pretty bad, but it's not until after you switch that you notice.

Speaking of "alternatives", anyone ever try ReactOS? It's still fledgling but it would remind you of the pre bloat days of Windows. You can even get a live CD, it's only 13MB or something. I like it. Plus you gotta give it to them, they work closely with WINE to share any findings, system calls etc. Worth a try ReactOS

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    It's true that DOS is poor compared to UNIX, any of the shells could whoop DOS. Though call me vanilla but I love BASH. The DOS files system is pretty bad, but it's not until after you switch that you notice.

Speaking of "alternatives", anyone ever try ReactOS? It's still fledgling but it would remind you of the pre bloat days of Windows. You can even get a live CD, it's only 13MB or something. I like it. Plus you gotta give it to them, they work closely with WINE to share any findings, system calls etc. Worth a try ReactOS
    I have heard of reactos and seen screenies, I want to try the livecd, I did'nt know one existed. No, I wont trade away my linux system, but if it can run live it's worth a try, no? It would be fun to have it if I once need to run a windows app and don't want to run it inside linux for some weird reason, I can just run reactos live

I actually used to like DOS back in the old days, I still have a box up in my closet which have DOS on, thought I haven't used it in about 6 years... And yes; the unix commandline beats the **** out of DOS, look how many commands DOS have in comparison to an ordinary UNIX system, and IMO the unix shell's like BASH and TCSH and every of those have a LOT more userfriendly syntax --> easier to use command line... If you want nothing but command line, I suggest you use linux or an unix derative.

If you however want to run freedos with a desktop, I heard something about SEAL which is an GPL windows-like desktop running on top of dos (probably also freedos then) which can be found here: http://sealsystem.sourceforge.net/about.php

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney

Is it like a GPLed verison of windows then? I hear it uses a NT Kernel.

SEAL eh? I'm straight on it. yeah I love live disks. I've gone through installing lots of distros over the past year or so, but I'd definitely have seen less flavours if it wasn't for the live disc. My favourites would probably be Slax, Knoppix, Freesbie and I was actually really impressed with the SuSE 9.2 live DVD.