Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear fellow: Last week i purchase a DVD having many red hat linux versions including 7, 8, 9, all the versions are there in different directories. the problem is that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing linux from DVD

Dear fellow:

Last week i purchase a DVD having many red hat linux versions including 7, 8, 9, all the versions are there in different directories. the problem is that the DVD is not bootable.

I made a bootable CD by burning the boot iso image of red hat linux 9 from DVD to CD-R. Then, the other problem occur is that:
    as the "now bootable CD" doesn't contain setup files, so the setup do not proceed, when i replaced "now bootable CD" with the DVD, the setup remained unable to access the setup files.
    When i copy the whole red hat linux 9 directory from DVD to hard disc and again do the above process, then setup remain unable to access the setup directory, even i specify the partition in which the directory i copied.

I will be very greatful to you, if you will help me in this regard.

thanks.

"student here"

Linux Newbie
    The easiest thing to do would be to add a DVD reader to your computer. They are very cheap these days and pretty easy to install. With software bloat everywhere they are almost mandatory. I have never had much luck with mult-version distributions. If you live in a medium sized town there are probably a computer group or two you could get cds and lots of help.

Just some ideas, I may be off base here.

Jeff
    Registered Linux User #391940

Linux Newbie
    PS You can get really cheap cds (99 cents + shipping) for most distributions from Edmunds Enterprises: http://www.edmunds-enterprises.com/

I'm just a satisfied customer that has received good service from them.

Jeff
    Registered Linux User #391940

oz
    forum.guy
    Yep, I purchased a room full of Linux CDs from Edmunds before finally getting DSL.

Just Joined!
    but i already have a DVD reader and all that happen, i mentioned above, is happened by using DVD reader.