Find the answer to your Linux question:
In a surprise announcement today, Microsoft President Steve Ballmer revealed that the Redmond-based company will allow computer resellers and end-users to customize the appearance of the Blue Screen of Death ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

The Blue Screen Of Death

In a surprise announcement today, Microsoft President Steve Ballmer revealed that the Redmond-based company will allow computer resellers and end-users to customize the appearance of the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD), the screen that displays when the Windows operating system crashes.

The move comes as the result of numerous focus groups and customer surveys done by Microsoft. Thousands of Microsoft customers were asked, "What do you spend the most time doing on your computer?"

A surprising number of respondents said, "Staring at a Blue Screen of Death." At 54 percent, it was the top answer, beating the second place answer "Downloading XXXScans" by an easy 12 points.

"We immediately recognized this as a great opportunity for ourselves, our channel partners, and especially our customers," explained the excited Ballmer to a room full of reporters.

Immense video displays were used to show images of the new customizable BSOD screen side-by-side with the older static version. Users can select from a collection of "BSOD Themes," allowing them to instead have a Mauve Screen of Death or even a Paisley Screen of Death. Graphics and multimedia content can now be incorporated into the screen, making the BSOD the perfect conduit for delivering product information and entertainment to Windows users.

The BSOD is by far the most recognized feature of the Windows operating system, and as a result, Microsoft has historically insisted on total control over its look and feel. This recent departure from that policy reflects Microsoft's recognition of the Windows desktop itself as the "ultimate information portal." By default, the new BSOD will be configured to show a random selection of Microsoft product information whenever the system crashes. Microsoft channel partners can negotiate with Microsoft for the right to customize the BSOD on systems they ship.

Major computer resellers such as Compaq, Gateway, and Dell are already lining up for premier placement on the new and improved BSOD. Ballmer concluded by getting a dig in against the Open Source community. "This just goes to show that Microsoft continues to innovate at a much faster pace than open source. I have yet to see any evidence that Linux even has a BSOD, let alone a customizable one."

Linux Newbie
    haha

thats nice. ive always wondered why they didnt ever make any inovative changes to the bsod. its been the same for like 20 years! too bad we wont get some of these speacial features.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    thats nice. ive always wondered why they didnt ever make any inovative changes to the bsod. its been the same for like 20 years! too bad we wont get some of these speacial features.
    Sure we will. Just update your BSOD screensaver, I am sure it will have new images for you.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Newbie
    A surprising number of respondents said, "Staring at a Blue Screen of Death." At 54 percent, it was the top answer, beating the second place answer "Downloading XXXScans" by an easy 12 points.
    i usually stare at the person who is staring at the blue screen of death... and many times, it aint pritty...
    GAH!!!

Linux Engineer
    Goodbye "B"

^ I <3 your avatar.

ive always wondered why they didnt ever make any inovative changes to the bsod. its been the same for like 20 years
    I wondered about that too. Especially because you see it so often. They could at least make it a little more visually pleasing. I mused at the appologetic message box on XP "We are sorry for the inconvenience" (it wasn't long till i saw it the first time i used Windows XP). Then it says if it happens often you should contact the application vendor. Notice how they try to shuffle off the blame to someone else? I say you should contact the OS vendor.

[rant]
    BTW I can't stand that corporate bootlick Steve Balmer. I saw his sorry ass on TV one time and after listening to his drivel for about 10 seconds i was ready to puke!
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20

I think they did change it for Win XP, when it died on me it came in the form of a popup window over the boot screen, it still said basically the same thing though.
    Code:
    "&#91;i&#93;Windows&#91;/i&#93;&#58; A FATAL ERROR HAS OCCURRED. Ordinal 0000x****offxxx00000xxx00x0x0x0x000 has been seriously jacked. YOUR COMPUTER IS DAMNED UNTIL YOU GIVE US MORE MONEY"

yeah, something like:

"It's not our fault our OS sucks. um... it's YOUR FAULT! STOP USING IT INCORRECTLY!"

by incorrectly they mean "at all"

it is possible to change the colour (thats it) of the bsod.
    the file is at http://toastytech.com/files/bsod.html

unfortunatly, you can only change it under win95/95/ME and maybe even 3.1.
    i changed mine to a black background with red text. It looks wicked

why dont M$ change the bsod under Xp to its default background (a paddock)
    and flowers everywhere.

the only (and really only) reason that many people said that the bsod is something they wanted changed was that they see the bsod too much and have had enough experience staring at it that they thought it would be nice to change the bland Blue Screen Of Death!
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--