Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK, by now I figure I've used it long enough to write some stuff about it, so here goes. Things I like about 4: Its a lot faster for one, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RedHat Enterprise 4

OK, by now I figure I've used it long enough to write some stuff about it, so here goes.

Things I like about 4:
    Its a lot faster for one, when I was using 3, KDE ran sort of sluggish, especially with the heavier themes like Marble, which coincidentally, is my favorite. Since I've been using 4 I've not had a single window freeze up on me, and applications load much faster as well, you click on it and there it is, no waiting. Its almost as fast as BSD!

It comes with a lot of new packages, upgrades for everything, X11, KDE, GIMP, GRUB, you name it.
    Also included is a new, prettier graphical login screen and even a graphical boot up screen. Instead of the typical white text on black messages being displayed during bootup, the X server starts and provides a very nice graphic frame for the startup messages. Boot time is also much quicker, decreased by at least 25%. GRUB works flawlessy dual booting FreeBSD on my other hard drive and provides a lovely graphical background for doing so.

The upgrade itself went nicely, nothing important was deleted and I didn't really have to do much to install it, just pop in the CD and click "Upgrade an existing installation".

Things I don't like about 4:
    The panel icons shrunk and they didn't include the RedHat themed KDE splash screen. A few important applications, like KWrite, although still installed, mysteriously vanished from the KMenu. It was kind of a pain having to manually put them back.

Overall Rating: Four Stars
    Comment: Best release of RHEL yet
    Would I Recommend it: Yes
    Do I like it better than BSD: They're on even territory right now

Linux Engineer

You got RHEL for a desktop?! Why not Fedora?

And use Kate instead of KWrite. It's the same thing except you can have multiple files open at once.

Linux Newbie
    Cool, I was gonna get rhel 4 as well but hp would only send 3 pre-installed.
    Registered Linux user #390336

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It's alot faster......with a HIGH price

Linux Enthusiast
    RHEL3 compairs to Fedora 2.
    RHEL4 compairs to Fedora 3.

The advantage of Fedora is that the packages are newer

Linux User
    yeah, I'm too cheap to buy RHEL, so I use Fedora. Speaking of which, Fedora Core 4 comes out tommorrow. It seems it has already been uploaded to the mirrors, but the directory is not accessible

Linux Newbie
    How much did you have to pay for it?

Jeff
    Registered Linux User #391940

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jlgreer1
    You can get pretty much the same OS for free by downloading CentOS ( http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=centos ), but I haven't tried none of them so I can't say too much about it... Whitebox is another recompiled RHEL distro.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jlgreer1
    You can download RHEL4 for free from the Red Hat site (grab the eval version).
    The only difference is the "serial-number" you get for downloading updates with RHN. The software is the same as the complete package.

CentOS updates are the ones taken from Red Hat. So, apart from from "specific" CentOS related packages/updates, you can use the updates with your RHEL4 system.

Just Joined!
    i am using rhel4!