Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I'm new on here and am looking for a little direction... I've got an Emachines M5116 and was wondering which distribution I should install to get full functionality. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What dist. to use on my laptop.???

Hi, I'm new on here and am looking for a little direction...

I've got an Emachines M5116 and was wondering which distribution I should install to get full functionality. I have used both RH and SUSE in the past, on desktops, and would like to stick with SUSE given the choice, but there seems to be an issue with the wireless card installed in my laptop. I have sourced a Linspire 5.0 cd and all looks good, even though the screen is pulled into wide screen and 1280 x 800 is not an option, but the wifi card is not supported. I therefore thought a move to a more standard build would be the way and am looking for any direction, past experiences and general all round advice...

Out of interest, are there still any main streem PPC builds of linux, that would run on Thinkpad 8xx series laptops as opposed to Macs..???

Many thanks...

Peter....

i am running suse 9.2 on my dell 600m and love it. i had some problems with the wireless at first, but after finding the driver, everything works.
    Today I fell and felt better, Just knowing this matters, I just feel stronger and SHARPER!!!, Found a box of sharp objects, What a beautiful THING!!! Box of Sharp Objects - The Used

What "issues" with the wireless card does SuSE have? If we can get around those, it would probably be what I would recommend.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I'm downloading SUSE at the moment but the Broadcom wireless adapter in my laptop doesn't appear on the compatibility list...

It's identified as a Broadcom device and seems to work, but the security settings will not let me attach to my lan....

You may be able to download the firmware for the card via YOU (YaST Online Update) and get it working. The output from lspci should show you what chipset the card is.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    In answer to my own question I can say that SUSE 9.3 Pro is the build for my laptop. The wide screen is supported and after a simple installation of the ndiswrapper - a common solution I understand - the wireless is working perfectly...

OK.. NOW to get full integration and phase out Windoze, I need a email client that will import from a '.pst' file. The default client looks ok but won't import, a little frustrating... Any recommendations greatly received...

Many thanks..

As far as I know, the only app that can really use .pst files is Outlook. There is something here that could help with importing mail from .pst (if it actually works - I haven't tried it): http://alioth.debian.org/projects/libpst/ You could definitely import your contacts if you export them to a different format, like .csv.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

i wanted to import my .pst files as well, but never got around to playing with it enough to see if would work. i just printed off my calendars, tasks, etc and typed them into Kontact
    Today I fell and felt better, Just knowing this matters, I just feel stronger and SHARPER!!!, Found a box of sharp objects, What a beautiful THING!!! Box of Sharp Objects - The Used

As for myself, since I use my PDA all the time my calendar and contacts were easily imported via pda. I have had to use the .csv export for contacts before, though, and it does work.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux User
    if you still have the wqindows box running, you could try to import your data from outlook to another client, such as thunderbird, or evolution (assuming there is a windows version, never had reason to check) which is available on linux and use that to move your data over

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast