Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I have tried downloading Slackware, but keep getting an error. The download manager allows me to resume the download, but if I leave the thing going overnight, I will wake ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Getting Another Distro?

I have tried downloading Slackware, but keep getting an error. The download manager allows me to resume the download, but if I leave the thing going overnight, I will wake up with an error and wasted time downloading what I already had. So, what is the easiest distro to download? Is there something I could be doing to make this work? I know on 56K this is going to take forever, but I want to let it download each night, and in a few days I will have it

Linux Guru
    Dude, are you asking how to solve the error? You've been here long enough now to get used to posting an error, rather than just informing us that you got it...

99% of distro's are just a case of downloading an ISO, if you have a connection problem, or some thing else, a different iso is unlikely to make any difference. Alternativly, consider purchasing a distro online.

Jason

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar
    Dude, are you asking how to solve the error? You've been here long enough now to get used to posting an error, rather than just informing us that you got it...

99% of distro's are just a case of downloading an ISO, if you have a connection problem, or some thing else, a different iso is unlikely to make any difference. Alternativly, consider purchasing a distro online.

Jason
    The error is....error. Thats all it says in the download manager. If I had more for you, I would have given it to you. I know that when you are asking a question, you give all the information, which I did. Thats all I have

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    how about what download manger it is then ey?

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Have you tried without the download manager? I've never liked a additional app to act as the master app between the OS, ISP DUN Client and networking components.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlanwan
    Have you tried without the download manager? I've never liked a additional app to act as the master app between the OS, ISP DUN Client and networking components.
    I only download big things using a download manager, because with 56K it disconnects often. I dont like getting something and having to restart it

Won't it be cheaper just to buy it off from the internet for like $5? I mean, the cost of downloading 650 mb with 56k must be over $5?

And think if something happens, so the ISO gets corrupted and you have to start all over again :P

Linux Newbie
    when you get the error does your computer disconnect from the internet?
    i had a problem where the modem kept disconnecting out of the blu and the downloads would just stop.
    Thanks v much

\"Anything bigger than my ego i want it caught and killed\"- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Multi boot:
    Win xp home, SuSE 8.2 and Slackware 9.1

I agree with people who said you just buy a burned copy of it. CheapBytes.com I found to be pretty good.

If you have to download it though, try getting software that lets you resume if the download stops. Not sure which one to recommend...
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air...

Linux Newbie
    I would definately buy it if I could. I know its not much money, but I dont have a card (and cant get a card). So, my option is to download it.

And no, it doesnt disconnect. I just wake up the next morning with 100MB of the file, and an error. No clue what the error is as it doesnt tell me. All I know is that when I try resuming the download it starts over and I lose everything

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast