Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Re: How do you feel about RPM's? Don't really like using them much......
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Re: How do you feel about RPM's?
    Don't really like using them much...

Linux Engineer
    I have no problems with RPMs with my 17 Yum repositories.

Just Joined!

Re: How do you feel about RPM's?

Quote Originally Posted by Vergil83
    I think the reason that you hear about less issues with .deb than .rpm (atleast I have) is because of the vast number of packges that debian offically supports. Dependency problem are solved easier because those packages are most likely avaible in the offical mirrors too. I think if Fedora or whomever had something like this, rpm could be just as "strong".
    Just for the record, i have no problems with unofficial repos on debian. Most of the stuff is on the debian mirrors anyway, which is great. I can apt-get all my video,audio needs. The main problem with RPM or RPM distros is the lack of proper repositorys and decent package managers, another problem is with every new release of the distro you can't use old packages. Mandrake is a probably the best RPM distro i have seen though! But i would never use it again after it corrupted my harddrive. Horrible.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    when I used the FC distros I loved rpms; however, they did have one negative side effect...every single time that I had to install something in slackware I had to look up--again--how to install the package. Yum at the time did seem to be a good package manager; however, for some reason I just now prefer portage and ports.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Enthusiast
    rpm's are very easy to install, but the dependency problems can be frustrating.

i, personally, won't go back to using rpm's....i now prefer source (portage more specifically) as i haven't had any dependency problems and it's still very easy to install/update programs.

regarding install times, though, rpm's are a million times faster. compiling from source can take hours on some programs, whereas it may take a couple of minutes when using an rpm.

it's all by preference and what you want. i prefer having as little difficulty as possible regarding dependencies, but spending a lot of time getting something to compile (a few hours is not uncommon); whereas, you can install an rpm very quickly and easily and *possibly* see a dependency problem in the future (though, they don't happen very often).

you just have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages for your own situation

Just Joined!
    RPMs could be for better or worse.
    the better:
    easy to use, quick, preconfigured (also for good or bad), and if your just coming from windows, theyre your friend since your used to everything being done for you

the worse:
    dependencies, preconfigured, not support by all distros

ive had some really pleasant encounters (Realplayer) and some rather nasty ones too (the wpa driver)

all in all its really a personal preference, but in a few years id definately swith to the deb (unless that one gets replaced too) :o

Quote Originally Posted by Imscaredofgrass
    the worse:
    ...preconfigured, not support by all distros
    The same is true for basically any pre-packaged software. You can install RPMs on a Debian box with Alien, though, so there are a few exceptions. The only *truly* compatible format that should work on any distro is the sourcecode, and even then you can run into dependency issues.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    well as someone once said its a matter of preference, but for me I prefer the .deb system.

I currently use Simply Mepis 3.3.1 as my distro and I have found its package manager [both synaptic and Kpackage] a crapload better then YAST on my previous distro SUSE Linux 9.1.
    I have encounted the all too troublesome "dependancy hell" and found it VERY annoying.

I am NOT a programmer, I have no idea how to compile a program from source and I want things to work when I want them to work and not have to download 600 packages to do it.
    but Suse was impossible to work with, nothing installed the right way and took hours just to get the simplest package to work.

but on here a lot of conflicts were resolved by Synaptic and I feel very good about my system.

the only thing going against .debs is that certain packages will have dependancy problems, ESPECIALLY Open Office 2.0 beta as OO seems too busy in making RPM packages then thinking about those who use debian.

Quote Originally Posted by ladymecha
    ... on my previous distro SUSE Linux 9.1.
    I have encounted the all too troublesome "dependancy hell" and found it VERY annoying.

I am NOT a programmer, I have no idea how to compile a program from source and I want things to work when I want them to work and not have to download 600 packages to do it.
    but Suse was impossible to work with, nothing installed the right way and took hours just to get the simplest package to work.
    That wouldn't happen to have been the infamous SuSE 9.1 Personal Edition was it? I liken it to MS Windows ME, it was just a bad idea to begin with. If you're not entirely soured to SuSE, give a newer version a try. I've never run into dependency hell with SuSE, but that's probably because I *never* install 3rd-party packages, just ones I get off the distro discs or off official SuSE repositories.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I didn't have any problems with 9.1 personal.
    It was the distro that I started with, so that may have something to do with it, as the only thing I could compare it with was XP home and Pro.

As for RPM vs .deb vs source.
    I think they all have there advantages
    With rpms's, as long as you set your repos right, and use the systems installer. I think you should be ok.
    With .debs, well apt-get install <package>, you gotta love that.
    With source, it depends which distro you are using.
    Gentoo= emerge <package> dependencies taken care of.
    Sourcemage= cast <spell/package> Would you like to cast this spell, Would you like to cast this spell, Would you like to cast this spell, Would you like to cast this spell,
    At the end, would you like to cast these spells.
    The choice is yours.

Personally, I like Debian the best.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast