Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I do not have anything against rpm's. In fact, they are my first choice....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

I do not have anything against rpm's.
    In fact, they are my first choice.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    That wouldn't happen to have been the infamous SuSE 9.1 Personal Edition was it? I liken it to MS Windows ME, it was just a bad idea to begin with. If you're not entirely soured to SuSE, give a newer version a try. I've never run into dependency hell with SuSE, but that's probably because I *never* install 3rd-party packages, just ones I get off the distro discs or off official SuSE repositories.
    Wouldn't that mean you can't watch movies in avi format and you wouldn't be able to play mp3's? Because as far as i know suse doesn't include them with it's distro. suse 9.1 was my first distro and it was god damn awful, it did look good though.

Dependencies have always been the real problem with any package manager. The real progress is being made in things like Yum, Yast and urpmi. I like Yast, using it now, but I thought urpmi was really excellent. Maybe just a bit simpler to use, as easy on CLI as in GUI. MSI is fast approaching the ideas of RPM and DEB. Funny because people always criticised linux because the package managers weren't executables. Of course they are regular users, with no concern for bloat and other associated issues.

I really like the idea of ebuilds, but time is a factor. I would say that it's probably time for rpmv2 if there hasn't already been a specification change. I'm not sure what I would add, but I definitely think it wouldn't hurt.

Linux Engineer
    I don't mind RPM's at all, I spent my first 1 1/2 years in linux with RPM only... As techie said, competition is only healthy. I tend to feel comfortable with almost every package manager. If it is RPM, I use RPM. If TGZ-packages are available, I use them. If APT is available, I use it. But still, lately I've gotten into source code and now I hardly ever use binary packages anymore, but thats not because I hate binary; it's jus because I get to customize some more, and in addition don't have to make symlinks among shared libraries to get some binary packages working allright. Also, someone said RPM doesn't have dep-ckescking; well it does. It just don't automaticly download it off the 'net. But neither does dpkg, apt downloads it for dpkg, but apt works fine with RPM too if you look at it from that angle, and so does urpmi, yast and yum ++

Just Joined!
    RPM is marginally OK, I always have a hard time finding them though, even through the RPM sites. With Linux, on RPMs and source compiles I'm always getting dependency problems, especially with X, RedHat uses X.org and most source configure scripts expect XFree86. I'm much more partial to FreeBSD's package system, I type /stand/sysinstall and just check whatever packages I want from the FreeBSD website, they're pre-configured for FreeBSD and install without problems, and best of all, they solve their own dependencies! Just about every bit of software you could ever need is on the main FreeBSD ftp site, so I could just install whatever I want and never worry about it.

Linux Enthusiast
    I think they are absolutely fine, the only problems are some dependency issues I have had, but then I just used .tar.gz so I was fine, RPM's are for if you are in a hurry, or if you dont want to ( or dont know how to) install manually, so, it's personal choice, I prefer manually ( now using slack 10.1 before I used RHEL- was meh)

Just Joined!
    I'm downloading FC4, this will be my first RPM distro in ages. Let's see if RPM has improved in the last year. :P

Just Joined!
    I'm a total noob. I tried RH8.0 (actually bought the damned thing because I was on dialup, and downloading it wasn't something I wanted to spend days doing). It was no good for my needs. I tried almost every version of Mandrake since 7.0, and with the Mandriva 2005 LE, I almost feel home. So far, I can do ALMOST everything I need to do using it.
    My question for this post, is: Does Mandriva 2005 LE have a source compiler?
    Like I said, I'm a noob, and don't even know where to look for this option/prog/whatever. I'm quickly becoming aware that alot of research has to be done by new Linux users if we want to stick with it. I don't mind that though. I'm almost free of Micro$oft, so it's worth it.
    Anyone else here old enough/been using pc's long enough, to remember when MS promised us Win95 was "The last Operating System you will ever need"?

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyr91
    My question for this post, is: Does Mandriva 2005 LE have a source compiler?
    yes source code is compiled with the GNU C Compiler (gcc), can be found under the development tools of the MCC's add/remove programs section.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyr91
    Anyone else here old enough/been using pc's long enough, to remember when MS promised us Win95 was "The last Operating System you will ever need"?
    Yes, and i never believed them. Because when I installed it, I thought that it was so crap that they would definately have to make a new OS to fix their problems. And they still haven't fixed most of their problems....
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    I don't like them. At all. I would generally much prefer anything over an rpm.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast