Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
I have no problems whatsoever with RPMs...I am actually pretty fond of them. I think it's a nice, easy way to install stuff....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I have no problems whatsoever with RPMs...I am actually pretty fond of them. I think it's a nice, easy way to install stuff.

Banned
    I prefere Debian myself, but I don't see what this has to do with RPM and DEP.
    I don't see any big difference. IMO they're very alike.

PS: DCC will use both.

Just Joined!
    For me (someone who's come a considerably long way from Knoppix 3.6), rpm's are great.

I haven't learned as much about Linux as I'd like to, so I don't know much about packages and the stories behind them. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to compiling source, in the months that I've used Linux I haven't done it once correctly. RPMs and Autopackages are my saviors. Something like yum in fedora is great.

I guess I kinda got lost there. Basically my opinion is; if it's automated and I'm not screwed after the install, I like it. Typically I don't install many things in Linux so I haven't had much experience.

Linux User
    It's been a while since I had to get down and dirty with RPM dependencies and such, thanks to yum, apt-get and suchforth, so I really don't mind them that much.

If I can't install it using yum, then I tend to try to install it from source, so either way I don't end up hating RPMs...
    \"I am, after all,\" said Pooh, \"a bear of very little brain.\"
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by nortis
    RPM's definitely made it easier for me to use linux as a total newbie.
    As long as theres no dependancies, anyway yum is an easier system and so is apt-get
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by winter
    As long as theres no dependancies, anyway yum is an easier system and so is apt-get
    They're both just fronts, you're still using RPM.

I'm curious, how does everyone feel about RPM's?
    I like them fine. In spite of what many perceive as deficiencies in dependency resolution (which may very well be a problem) I have never had problems I could not resolve.

I am getting a bit into the ports system FreeBSD uses as well. Very slick. I know next to nil about the workings of Debian package management so I have no comment.

But to the original question, I give RPMs a thumbs-up for my part.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4