Find the answer to your Linux question:
(wasn't sure where to put this, so I made it a hello) Hello! I'm weird, sorry about that. Nice to be here. I've been computing since the Vic20, so I've ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

aloha

(wasn't sure where to put this, so I made it a hello)

Hello! I'm weird, sorry about that. Nice to be here.

I've been computing since the Vic20, so I've broken a lot of systems. Before I was a teen and now I have 4 kids of my own, so I've never really had the time to get too far past "casual user". If you ask my father, though, I'm the only one he knows that "would reprogram his motherboard just because he figured out how". I melted my own keyboard chip with software once, I kid you not.

I tell you this to establish that I'm not a newb, but you may as well go ahead and treat me thus anyway. I'll probably learn more.

Anyway. I'm running a weird system and I thought I'd toss a teeny-troll to see who else is. It's FC3 on the pre13 version of the 2.6.11 kernel for colinux 0.6.3, which is in turn virtualizing a headless box on an XP (Home with Pro hacks) SP2 dual-head machine. I'm going to update to core 4 as soon as I unmangle my network (I won't even start with what that looks like atm). My intent is to lay out the system with a separation of "brain" tasks (mostly handled by fc) and "body" tasks (xp, devices, etc.). /shrug I got bored one day?

I'm currently sorta running cygwin, just enough of it to make the X and ESD servers run in the background as services started under cygserver for memory sharing, and occasionally with a cygshell started for the more direct hardware access. I consider that a kludge to be worked out though. It runs the server in a multiwindows mode such that the desktop can be made invisible and the clients run like windows apps with XP decorations and desktop/clipboard interaction. (The cygwin is some "sort of" Debian). This works beautifully, I have to say I'm quite happy with everything but graphical performance and a touch of lag when under intensive use. There's a GLX extended verion of XWin in the works that I have hopes for to fix this.

Call me crazy, but I like it lots. I've had to write bats and scripts all over the place so it doesn't matter which console I type "nano" or "ls" or "cat" in (windows/"dos 7" doesn't like those commands much). Some of the bugs and errors can get outright comical (none spring to mind immediately, I'll let you know). I've read of linux referred to as "like living in a house full of contractors that might move your walls or floor overnight". Mine's much the same, but with funny mirrors and clown music

Who else might be running some odd setup, (or be willing to, so I can get converts, muwahahahhh)? I find it hard to find answers or ask questions at times, not entirely which platform the problem is with, if it's a problem with real hardware or something virtualized, etc.

Thanks for reading my babble!

-k

Interesting setup you've got going there. I like the
    "like living in a house full of contractors that might move your walls or floor overnight"
    quote.

Reminds me a little bit of this:
    http://paul.merton.ox.ac.uk/computing/os-airlines.html

Welcome aboard!
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by psic

Interesting setup you've got going there. I like the
    "like living in a house full of contractors that might move your walls or floor overnight"
    quote.

Reminds me a little bit of this:
    http://paul.merton.ox.ac.uk/computing/os-airlines.html

Welcome aboard!
    That's funny! I don't think I'd seen that one before.

I'm not as much the windows basher I used to be, and in fact this little experiment is showing me that an OS is still an OS under the hood, just XP has a horribly undocumented and un-user-friendly hood. The whole thing was sparked, this time around, by a particular program I simply can't run any other way but via a real-time virtual linux machine, and from there I've just been remembering how much more I can get done as long as I have a linux brain installed.

I also got tired of nearly every linux topic I researched extensively eventually leading to wilwheaton.net (wesley crusher has a blog! and he's not a bad writer). I figured if I'm that much of a nerd it's time to announce it formally.

I'm trying to stick to a strictly GNU/freeware setup, so that once it's right I can go about coding two components into one, etc. I'd like to eventually have this be something that can be installed into a moderately sized USB stick or some suitable super-fast plug-and-play type of storage, with minimal extra setup. I like the idea of being able to stand in front of an XP machine with a "magical device" and "look, I have a linux brain, and now I don't, and now I do..."

I think the XP is going to end up handling all the hardware and virtualizations, while the FC is going to end up handling the firewall, internet traffic, mail, on-the-fly info retrieval, etc. For right now, this is a necessity if only because the kernel I'm using is stripped of most hardware support, it not being needed for colinux's "traditional" use.

My girlfriend is an incredible debugger, you'd be amazed at how often the barest knowledge of BASIC and a fresh eye can solve a problem, but with this she's way out of her league. Same with my father, who is an IT expert that happens to work for a company with a strong official stance against Linux. So there go my two usual sources of information and help, which is what led me here.

Thanks for the welcome!

-k

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close