Hello there, folks!

Just thought I'd introduce myself and see if there are people in the community who share my Linux difficulties.

I run a business in the UK which provides various technology solutions. We do what it takes to meet the client's business needs, whether that be sourcing hardware, setting up networks and computers, offering procurement advice and building web systems for managing client-specific data for internal/external use. Basically, I do innovative things with PHP.

Having just got into the hardware, I've had a lot of requests for new, hand-built systems. Being an OSS advocate, I tend to push Linux and it's advantages. The desktops are normally alright with Linux (I won't sell proprietary systems on these if I can avoid it - mainly the maintenance issues and lock-in). Servers are obviously fine, too: for both of these types I can cherry-pick components for compatibility.

I've just sold a laptop running SuSE 9.3. It's all the onboard hardware that causes the problems. Often the chipset is recognised and all that, but bits of it simply won't work, even when the correct modules are loaded. I spend a lot of time convincing myself and others that the big L is desktop-ready, but I still find myself celebrating when hardware is auto-detected. A client's Canon inkjet (one of those buttonless toy things - lol) set up fine, but, regardless of the PPD I use, will only print in B/W.

I know the deal: I shoe-horn Linux on to a machine and sell it at a competitive price for the hardware, but when you have to go and buy PCMCIA cards to duplicate unsupported onboardware, that _really_ cuts into your margins.

Does anyone know what components are 99% Linux compatible these days? The old Compatibility Howto is a useful guide, but there must be a chipset out there that covers the bases better than what I've been using (mainly Clevo reselling).

Excuse the ramble, but I'd like to know about your views and experiences.

J.