I've been using Pan for a little more than a week, and by and large, I love it. It's consistently about 30% faster than Agent, both in XP and Wine. And yes, I use multiple instances of Agent to get 4 connections to my nntp server, downloading different sections of large binaries.

The problem I'm having with Pan, and let me know if I'm alone in this, is that when downloading headers from some of the really big groups, like alt.binaries.dvd (3,000,000+ headers), the headers will download fine, but pan will hang when trying to populate the headers in the GUI. I don't know if it's actually frozen, but I lack the patience to wait after 30 minutes of not being able to properly move my mouse around or do anything else.

Is there a gnome or kde newsreader, with a featureset anywhere near that of pan, that has more efficient code?

Anyway, it might just be me, but I'd like to know.

TIA

It just occurred to me that there is probably a better forum to post this in, but I figure everyone stops in here once in awhile.

------ EDIT -----

Oh, yeah, I'm running Ubuntu 5.04 (though I had the same problem in Mandriva, SUSE, Slackware, and Windows XP) on an AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 1gb RAM, 160gb SATA.

So, I don't think it's a hardware problem.