Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: What LiveCD do you use...

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Knoppix

9 29.03%
  • DSL

5 16.13%
  • Slax

3 9.68%
  • Ubuntu Live

1 3.23%
  • SimplyMEPIS

3 9.68%
  • other...

5 16.13%
  • I dont use LiveCDs

5 16.13%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I always like Knoppix, loved SimplyMEPIS but I will always have a copy of SLAX close to hand.Great and I have it on 8cm disks for carrying when needed....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I always like Knoppix, loved SimplyMEPIS but I will always have a copy of SLAX close to hand.Great and I have it on 8cm disks for carrying when needed.

I love the non-bloatware philosophy of DSL. An X GUI with lot's of apps. on 50MB distro!
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

Linux Engineer
    Thanks for the link, mechmaster.

I personally use Feather Linux or FreeSBIE when I'm in trouble. Feather Linux is a nice middle ground between micro-distributions such as Damn Small Linux and the larger distributions such as Knoppix. It's pretty fast on old computers and perfect for an old laptop I have.

But if I need a more full-featured Live CD I use FreeSBIE or sometimes Gnoppix.

Linux Newbie
    no problem, i was somewhat shocked at the results, but then again it sometimes does take a while for knoppix to load, considering the final outcome of the test
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

Just Joined!
    Dunno if I'm allowed to say this here but...Ebay has a guy on there selling linux live cds... I got to pick any 15 I wanted and with shipping I paid less then 15 bux....Really helped me cause I was wanting to try few different ones and am stuck on dreaded dial-up... message me if anyone wants more info bout this cause I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the info here or not.

Linux Engineer
    Good article. I would've liked to have seen Beatrix included though
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Personally, I use Knoppix. Originally because the Gentoo docs let you install Gentoo through it, and tell you the exact differences. So I did.

But one thing I like about Knoppix is that it's pretty quick to boot into commandline when I just do something like screwing up my bootloader. So for quick maintenance, it's easy to use.

The GUI takes a LONG time to load, admittedly. But if I'm gonna be doing anything that I need a GUI for, I rather like that I can distract myself with a ton of stuff at the same time.

Also, Knoppix comes with ndiswrapper (other LiveCDs may also, I dunno), which I need to access the Internet.

So yeah. Go Knoppix!!

Linux User
    i use X-DSL, the xbox version of damn small linux

oz
    forum.guy
    I voted Damn Small Linux, but don't really like any of the live distros I've tried unless they are installed on the hard drive. They just don't feel the same on live CD as they do on the hard drive. Just my opinion...

Just Joined!
    Personally, i don't have any use for Live CD's - Although i do see there merit - If you were new to Linux and wanted to run one to see what it's like, or using one for repairing or booting an existing install or maybe even for a laptop on the go situation.

I like distro's that install to the hard drive - and while some live CD's have poorly "rigged" installers, none of them provide a clean normal install. These type of distro's have all the stability of an Elephant on stilt's and are easily broken once put on the HD. (IMO)

If i had to choose a couple out of the hundreds that have popped up since Carl Knoppix showed the world his live CD script - it would be Knoppix (they did it first) and probably PCLinuxOS 9 (because it's Mandrake based and nice to look at)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast