Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Who do you think makes the best boards?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Abit

2 8.00%
  • Albatron

0 0%
  • Asus

13 52.00%
  • DFI

1 4.00%
  • Epox

0 0%
  • Msi

3 12.00%
  • Tyan

0 0%
  • Other(please mention)

6 24.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I apologize to the people who posted in my other thread. But I also thank you. Because of you're help I can avoid some rather bad manufacturers. But since we ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Best mainboard manufacturers

I apologize to the people who posted in my other thread. But I also thank you. Because of you're help I can avoid some rather bad manufacturers. But since we brought up which to avoid let's bring up which not to. I guess IMO the best would have to be Asus. But that differs from board to board. I've only used the TX97-E and it's still working. Feel free to also mention which boards have made that manufacturer in you're opinion the best. Thanks

My best experience so far as been with ASUS boards. They're the only ones that everything worked on out of the box in Linux for me (on my AMD64 system that is). A close second would be Gigabyte (only 32-bit boards, but a good experience), followed by MSI (a few little annoyances in 64-bit boards).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I've used Asus, Biostar, and Abit boards and I think Abit is the best.

i think you are missing gigabyte, foxcon and asrock. those were others i thout we could aree had reliability. asus is nice but expensive for something that you could get a little cheaper. and what exactly are you trying to build here. tyan is only for servers. if you want a low cost system then gigabyte, asus and msi will give you a hard time for a low price where as foxconn, albatron, asrock, and epox.

its not uncommon to have a motherboard last a long time reliably. after all, thats what they are desighntd to do. its those few who cut corners at every chance thqat you want to avoid. again. any teir one company is a hih chance of reliability and power. teir two is still a high chance of reliability but often no overclocking or extensive features. teir three is for dells.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

oz
    forum.guy
    ASUS... nothing more need be said!

Voted Asus, but I have little basis for comparison as I have not had much reason to switch. They have always been good to me. If I am opening my wallet I am not going to mess around.

I have worked on emachines mobos for friends, and they were horrendously bad.

Other: Gigabyte

I like the dual-BIOS feature that comes standard on all models. Also better quality/price ratio than ASUS, but just as overclockable/reliable.
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

Linux Engineer
    My first (and only) Abit died on me, afterwards I only bought Asus mainboards, and a few usb-port problems apart on my current A7N8X-E Deluxe, I'm pretty happy with it... But I don't think I will buy an Abit next time (took it for the overclocking options, but with a Via chipset... newbie back then )
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux User
    I would personally have to say ASUS. I've owned about 3 boards from ASUS and have never had any trouble with either. Very reliable and stable, and they're great overclocking boards, which I can't find the time to mess around with anymore...

ASUS all the way, no other manufacturer can match their quality and reliability. But they can be far dearer than competitiors, and for me this is their only drawback.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast