Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Honestly, i think everything can be done with the su command, no? As long as you now the console command equivalent to the GUI action... I used to login as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Honestly, i think everything can be done with the su command, no? As long as you now the console command equivalent to the GUI action... I used to login as root graphically to change rwx permissions on files & folders, now i know how to do it via the command line, I never logon as root graphically anymore - I just use 'su'. So much easier once you know how to do it
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    We have su what more do you need?

Also, to the OP: What distro will not let you log in as root? Even ubuntu can be tweaked to allow it.

If you can't gain root access in any way it is a worthless distro, as you would have to reinstall Linux to 1) add a new drive; 2) update config files; 3) get information about your system; etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I know enough about my car to operate it from day to day and when it needs maintenance I take it to a professional who knows much more about the inner workings of that vehicle than I ever want to.
    I had this debate before with someone, and I was on the same side as you are, but the funny thing is I am a bit of a car fanatic, and I was amused to have something pointed out to me:

TVR, one of the coolest and most insane car makers out there have their bonnets(hoods for our transatlantic cousins) bolted down with special nuts so their owners can't look underneath. Basically, it works and if it doesn't either return it or buy another one and shut the hell up!!

They do cost like STG£170,000 for a Tuscan IIRC

oz
    forum.guy
    Oops... hope we didn't run him off (HopToad, the author of the thread).

His post count is still just one, as I type this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    TVR, one of the coolest and most insane car makers out there have their bonnets(hoods for our transatlantic cousins) bolted down with special nuts so their owners can't look underneath. Basically, it works and if it doesn't either return it or buy another one and shut the hell up!!
    Funny you mention this, because I remember reading a quote while I was installing Redhat 8.0 (a few years back) where someone said, "Buying closed-source software is like buying a car with the hood [bonnet] welded shut." I wasn't aware there actually was such a thing. Haha.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

@ bonnet
    Today I fell and felt better, Just knowing this matters, I just feel stronger and SHARPER!!!, Found a box of sharp objects, What a beautiful THING!!! Box of Sharp Objects - The Used

Quote Originally Posted by jamey112
    @ bonnet
    @ hood

Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Engineer
    Heh.. I remember thinking to myself when I first arrived in the UK that there were an awful lot of people trying to sell their old shoes. Took me a few days to realize that Boot Sale was the same thing as our Flea Market.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

I kinda felt bad explaining what a bonnet was, thought it might be read as a bit condescending...

It's so funny that sometimes it's actually like different languages sometimes. I often speak to vendors from the UK or the States and find them sounding confused halfway through the sentence I'm speaking. It's always the slang that gets people stuck. And that's without even speaking in Irish!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast