Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
when i came onto these forums it was all the rage. everyone was talking about fow yoper is going to be one of the big players. but today, i dont ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

anyone still using yoper?

when i came onto these forums it was all the rage. everyone was talking about fow yoper is going to be one of the big players. but today, i dont ever see anyone with that distro at all. you se a whole lot of gentoo's these days allong with fc3rs (no thats not leetspeek ) and suse people. but when i came on tese forums i remeber a lot of proud mandrake users and yer advocats. what happened to everyone.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Heh, trends change, I remember when there were a fem posts a day in the Yoper section here, and now it's down to 1 a month? This may be a sign that Yoper is not buggy... but I doubt it. I don't think the problems yoper had with their webservers helped (being off-line for so long). I had used Yoper, but I found it rather buggy, and the slowness of the 2.2 release made me forget about it and I went to Slackware, and now Gentoo, which i much prefere.

Maybe in a few months everybody will have forgotten gentoo and moved to some other distro, but this is just the trends, like there are fashion trends, there are distro trends.

Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

I use Yoper still. I prefer Gentoo though.

Yoper for some reason doesn't like my USB optical mouse.
    When I boot into Yoper I have to unplug the mouse from the KVM switch or 30 seconds or so. Plug it back in, then my mouse will work properly.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I played with Yoper a long time ago (before I had a review site). It was nothing spectacular that I remember. As it is I have plenty to occupy my time with stress-testing FC4 and working in SuSE.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

As it is I have plenty to occupy my time with stress-testing FC4 and working in SuSE.
    How's Fedora holding up so far?

As for "on-topic", I had basically the same impression from Yoper that TechieMoe did, but it has been quite a while since I've tried it out. The community and developers seemed a bit hostile at the time, as well.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    As it is I have plenty to occupy my time with stress-testing FC4 and working in SuSE.
    How's Fedora holding up so far?
    My "stress-testing" basically consists of doing everything I would do in a regular day with this distro and seeing how it performs. You'd be surprised how many otherwise good distros fail miserably at one point or another. Any time I test a new distro the first things I try are installing Nvidia 3D drivers, installing and playing Doom 3 and NWN, and installing (if necessary) Java and the Eclipse IDE to do work.

So far FC4 is doing great with my games and 3D drivers. The only thing left to test is whether or not I can do my Java development on it either using their Native Eclipse client or with my downloaded Eclipse program. If I can do all of that I *may* consider swapping my main distro over to FC4, since I'd love to be able to do everything I want on a free (no cost) distribution. (Nothing against SuSE, but with a new car and insurance it's getting harder to justify $80USD every 6 months.)
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    i would use yoper, but it seems that my ISO CD has timed out. Its wierd, everytime i go to install it, it says that there are no more installs or something. havent used Yoper in a while, but it has been one of my favorite used distros
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

its just wierd and all that it got its own forum here but no one uses it.

as for fc4. techiemoe, please see if it can finaly handle compiling from source as it sould because i remember fc2 crapping out a lot. also see if they fixed openoffice.org's spell checking. also see if they deblotenized some. i would realy like a simple distro so recomend to someone without them having to pay for it.

as for the trends. i realy hope gentoo never dies. ive been sing it for half a year and it just doesnt wanna die. i remember with windows it had a halflife of about 3 weeks and you had to reinstall it every 6 months. with fc2 i reinstalled it often because i cluttered it up with failed source compile attempts. but gentoo is working like an OS should.

rechiemoe. i know that you have tried gentoo before. i also know you pposted a review of it. but what dont you like about it. is it the fact that you have to do everything yourself and it takes forever to install. i guess i could understand such an argument but as far as i can see installing pre-built binaries often give linux problems.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

oz
    forum.guy
    I've tried Yoper 3 or 4 times in the past but it always had too many problems to be solved. It's doubtful that I'll try it again any time soon, but perhaps some day.

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    rechiemoe. i know that you have tried gentoo before. i also know you pposted a review of it. but what dont you like about it. is it the fact that you have to do everything yourself and it takes forever to install. i guess i could understand such an argument but as far as i can see installing pre-built binaries often give linux problems.
    *scooby doo voice* Roohkay.

I actually like Gentoo an awful lot, but for a few reasons it's not my choice distribution. One is, as you said, it takes forever and a day to get everything compiled, installed, and configured properly, and at this point in my life I just don't have that much time to devote to getting a working system together. This is what turned me off to FreeBSD initially as well.

The other is that (like many distributions such as Debian) Gentoo is a very internet-centric distribution. In general you must have some sort of internet connection for it to be useful (or look high and low for the entire portage tree on disc). At the moment I have no internet connection on my main computer, and only a very slow (<=28.8kbps) dial-up connection on my secondary. This does not make for very easy apt-getting or emerging.

Should I ever move somewhere that offers broadband, that may change, but at the moment Gentoo is just not the distro for me.

As far as installing pre-built binaries goes, I've actually had very little trouble with distros like SuSE in that respect. Everything on the SuSE discs installs without issue, and I've also downloaded 3rd-party RPMs (such as media players and such) that worked just fine.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast