Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ive come to notice that ive been on these forums for almost a year now and ive only got 350 posts or so. there are people who have been here ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

i wanna help too!

ive come to notice that ive been on these forums for almost a year now and ive only got 350 posts or so. there are people who have been here for half a yar with nealy a thousand posts. now i beleive strongly in quality over uantity but i realy want to get more invoved. so i see that my problem is that im not realy helping anyone. i always just quickly scrol down to the coffe lounge and dont even bother with the real rooms. its not because i dont wanna help mind you, its simply because i couldnt. but now that ive come to get used to a lot of things here in the linux world i feel that i can atleat gve it a try. now some of these problems are just way out there to me. but if its something ive done before, well im gunna at least give the guy a shot in the general direction. just right now i droped in the newbie room and gave a couple guys some suggestions. now i dont know specificly if it wil help but it does atleat give the gneral shot. before i always figured that someone else would be able to give a better answer than could even if i did know the answer. so i never even bothered. but now if i have an idea ill try and give it. im of couse not going to just give out crap just to raise my post count. but i am going to elp. after all. im a freaking gentoo user, i should be ready for anything!

sorry if this isnt realy something that you guys need to know. just thought id get it out there that imgoing to try and help you.

oh, and there is also something that ive never done that almost everyone else has. i never did greet myself.

so, hello my name is benjamin so as you can see how i get my username benjamin20. and i am a linux user.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

I'm glad you are taking more of a part, but postcount isn't everything (it's just almost everything j/k). I found that solving other peoples problems expands your knowlage and lest you help more people with more complex problems

Have a good day.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Yeah, it's easy to get caught up in post count fever! It really is better to go for quality - I love watching my count go up, but feel it's pointless unless I've actually helped someone ...

Just get in there and contribute - You can only help someone so far: they also need to make an effort. And like Dylunio says, when you help someone, you also increase your own knowledge.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

My suggestion is to just cruise the other parts of the forum that you're comfortable in (for instance if you use Fedora, look at the Fedora forum, if you're a gamer, look at the gamer forum) and just dive in if you see a post that you might be able to help on. You may post the same answer at the same time as one of the regulars (a lot of the TPs tend to do this) but we won't be offended. Often times if someone posts the same thing as me I'll just remove my post all together and let the other person help out instead. Don't be afraid to take a dip, and don't take it personally if someone corrects you. We're all here to help.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

aye benjamin, dont worry too much about the post count, i dont

just help when you can. i realy can't help much, but if i can i will

I totally agree with what the other guys have said, when you help someone you increase your own knowledge of Linux.

Sometimes I didn't know the answer to someones question, but I had a good idea where I could find the answer, or I would google the subject and attempt to come up with an answer for them. Again increasing my own knowledge and getting the satisfation of helping people.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

i think i will just hang around the newbie, gentoo, and wine rooms. i have a lot of experience in those so (well the newbie gentoo i have experience in) i may help there.

i know postcount isnt everything. but it showd me im not helping. and ii hate to get and not give.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Linux Engineer
    View unanswered posts
    is the link I always click. It's usually just a matter of searching Google or documentation for the person asking the question (sad, I know).

Another way of being able to help more is giving yourself a GNU/Linux project to play with that'll teach you a lot more than you know now. I recommend LFS if you have the time and want to learn; it'll sure help you answer more questions here.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sether
    View unanswered posts
    is the link I always click. It's usually just a matter of searching Google or documentation for the person asking the question (sad, I know).

Another way of being able to help more is giving yourself a GNU/Linux project to play with that'll teach you a lot more than you know now. I recommend LFS if you have the time and want to learn; it'll sure help you answer more questions here.
    That link, makes the baby jesus cry.

I get tons of errors

Linux Guru
    Besides reading through the initial post, read through the replies. Many times you'll find that a response has only addressed one part of the the original, or maybe some clarification might help the original poster. Just because a post has been responded to doesn't mean there's no opportunity to help.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast