Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4115806.stm You know, you' have thought that people as computer literate as web developers would have more of a clue!!! oh and before anyone asks, "yes" I do read the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

firefox compatibility issues

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4115806.stm

You know, you' have thought that people as computer literate as web developers would have more of a clue!!!

oh and before anyone asks, "yes" I do read the BBC news website a lot (I know it's not the first time I've posted a link from that site here)
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Funny you should bring this up. I just had a round with BankAmerica about their website not allowing me to use Firefox to accesss my account. Their website is only set up for IE and Netscape.

When I suggested they should make their site where I can access my account they replied that.... get this now...

...they are set up to only accept IE and Netscape for "security" reasons!

IE is more secure than Firefox??
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

That was an interesting artical, it is a pity that non W3C html is out there, since it makes site less veiwable to the world. But it is nice seeing that certain sites are being re-writen to let FF users use the site.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Yeah, it's really dumb making a website that only works in 90% of copmuters. A buddy of mine is a web designer for www.condotrust.com (most of you probably haven't heard of it), and he has every major browser installed on his computer for testing purposes: Firefox, IE, Netscape and another one I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    ...they are set up to only accept IE and Netscape for "security" reasons!

IE is more secure than Firefox??
    Thats what I meant when I said "I thought they'd have more of a clue". Pathetic
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

This is largely because web developers are used to testing their sites just using IE rather than so-called standards-compliant browsers, which only use code ratified by the World Wide Web consortium.
    I cant get why it said 'so-called standards-compliant browsers' why are they so-called?

read further and it implies that W3C standard is a bad thing. people are going to read this and think: "thank god i use IE". the BBC seem to take a decidedly anti-OSS stance. if you've watched click-online they gave firefox a brief mention about java viruses but failed to mention that all browsers were susceptible to these. i don't think they even mentioned that it was being fixed and an update would be on the way.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

does anyone here think it could be remains of the old browser war? mabye they were IE supporters back then and this time around feel the same way just because. ive found that the answer to many questions is in fact just because.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Both my current bank and the last bank that I worked with told me that only IE6.0 and Netscape 7.2 or higher would work woth my online banking.

I never had a problem using firefox for all of my banking.
    Except for the warnings that would come up telling me I needed to upgrade my browser.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

I tried using Firefox, and a window came up informing me that I wasn't using the proper browser, and in order to continue, I would have to use either IE or Netscape.

Doesn't Konqueror have a feature where you can tell it to "act" like IE as far as how it is detected by certain websites? Would that feature help in a situation like this?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast