Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36
Originally Posted by linkinp4rk410 I've converted 2 people, one which is very happy with the change, the other is just content. Currently have 3 others lined up and waiting to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #21
    Trusted Penguin Dapper Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Sovereign State of South Carolina
    Posts
    4,630

    Quote Originally Posted by linkinp4rk410
    I've converted 2 people, one which is very happy with the change, the other is just content. Currently have 3 others lined up and waiting to switch, but I need to find some free time to help them out (and a ride).
    I help out four people that have switched to Linux. The farthest from me is 16 miles away. I just ask for their IP and can fix just about anything they need help with by using either ssh or vnc. This way, I don't need to drive over!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

  2. #22
    Linux Engineer d38dm8nw81k1ng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    doom 3 might have been your reason for sticking with windows, but where you whining about it being so unsecure while holding onto doom 3 as your only excuse? just for doom 3 you could have dual booted. your story isnt exactly fitting in with what i was explaining. you had a legit reson. im talking about people who practicly make up a reason.
    i don't have doom 3 but wanted to get it. you misunderstand me, it WAS a poor reason and i know it. i was commenting that, unlike others, i overcome by irrational fear of change and DID convert. finding out that doom 3 could run on linux led me to believe that other games would too. and that is the reason i converted. and i've never been happier
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

  3. #23
    Linux Engineer psic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by anomie
    I gave up arguing with Windows users. If they are genuinely satisfied, I don't bother them. If they are interested in something new, and are patient enough to learn, then I am happy to help them.
    I feel the same way. If someone shows interest, then I try to help, but I don't try to 'convert' windows users.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #24
    Linux Engineer d38dm8nw81k1ng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    this thread is destroying the concept of which linux is based on 'Choice' you should have the freedom of choice to choose what ever OS you wish. Converting and trying to force people into going with linux is just as unscrupulous as the things MS does to keep its customers. by now there should not be any people who dont know what linux is based on TV news and other media if they dont let them know and linux will sell itself.

    just one mans humble opinion
    i didn't get round to replying to this statement so i'll do it now...
    i disagree with what you are saying because we do not "force" people to use linux. i agree with the last part however and that is what many of us do. even though people are aware of the existence of linux, few people are willing to switch over because they are afraid of change. they also believe all the negative stories they here of it. "it won't run this or that". "it is too hard to use" and so on. maybe the term "converting" is a little harsh in the eyes of some people but i cannot see how this topic lowers us to the level of Microsoft. after all, we are not forcing linux on people's computers (well, i haven't anyway). just so that nobody gets the wrong idea, a friend asked me to get rid of the pop-ups on his computer. i installed firefox and some other stuff on his computer however, unlike some people, i did ask for permission to do it and explained the benefits of it. i eventually realised the cause of his pop-ups was from windows messenger, the piece of crap spam system but that is besides the point. the point is that i improved his computer without resorting to underhanded tactics. ok i'll stop now because i am beginning to ramble and missing the point a little.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

  6. #25
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    maybe the term "converting" is a little harsh in the eyes of some people but i cannot see how this topic lowers us to the level of Microsoft.
    I think the title of the thread could have been more diplomatic. There are those of us who still use MS Windows for whatever reason, and those of us who have relatives/friends/spouses/etc that still use MS Windows and *only* MS Windows. Calling those people "heathens" that need "conversion" can be taken badly. It's akin to saying Linux is a religion, which I know for some people it is, but IMO it *shouldn't* be. Linux is an operating system, and more than that a CHOICE. I think it's best not to get into the habit of being too zealous for something as inconsequential as computer software.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

  7. #26
    Linux Engineer d38dm8nw81k1ng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    793
    it was partially a pish take as there are many people who see linux as a religion (i may be confusing it a little with mac users). i sometimes use windows for counter strike and my brother uses it alot for playing his games. i meant no offense to anyone who uses windows. i realise that almost everyone here still uses it and will still use it until software developers start providing more widespread linux support. i was mosly trying to get humourous responses from windows users as reason for not trying linux.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

  8. #27
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I think the title of the thread could have been more diplomatic. There are those of us who still use MS Windows for whatever reason, and those of us who have relatives/friends/spouses/etc that still use MS Windows and *only* MS Windows.
    I interpretted the word "heathens" to be more of an affectionate light insult, and "conversion" a humorous analogy.
    \"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces.\" - Sluggy Freelance

  9. #28
    Linux Enthusiast carlosponti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    560
    i kinda took exception to the desciption of heathens and converting them. the threaded started off with a stance that linux was the one true god and that people still using windows are heathens to be chastised because of thier choice. linux is not a religion or a mantra its a computer OS and taking that fundamentalism too far can be a problem. it also sends a message of arrogence that you believe you are above someone because of thier choice. there maybe some of that coming from the fact that for years Linux was the underdog and that those whose get certified eat sleep MS were always looking down on linux users. but i believe in holding a higher standard and to not let technology become a symbol of elitism as it has been in certain instances in either hacking cirlces or general geekdom. there is no reason to turn our geekdom into elitism because of our harsh treatment by others in the non geek forums. maybe i was taking it to seriously who knows. but it did help with one thing i got another post point Post++
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

  10. #29
    Trusted Penguin Dapper Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Sovereign State of South Carolina
    Posts
    4,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Workaphobia
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I think the title of the thread could have been more diplomatic. There are those of us who still use MS Windows for whatever reason, and those of us who have relatives/friends/spouses/etc that still use MS Windows and *only* MS Windows.
    I interpretted the word "heathens" to be more of an affectionate light insult, and "conversion" a humorous analogy.
    Agreed. I also took it in the lighthearted manner in which it was intended.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

  11. #30
    Linux Engineer d38dm8nw81k1ng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    793
    carlosponti, i apologise for offending you but i feel that you are a little harsh for calling me arrogant.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •