Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
have you ever converted someone? i know this may have been asked a thousand times but i'm curious. i'm in the process of converting my brother (by force) by trying ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

converting the heathens

have you ever converted someone? i know this may have been asked a thousand times but i'm curious. i'm in the process of converting my brother (by force) by trying to get games working on Wine so he doesn't have to use win2000 for his gaming. also what responses have you gotten from people as reasons not to convert.
    me first: i was talking to this kid in my class and suggested he give it a whirl, he said that he wouldn't because linux doesn't play games, it's too hard to use and that winshite is good enough. well at least i hope he said good enough and not good. anyway i asked him about the glaring security holes in winwoes and if he wanted to have his computer raped everytime he accessed the internet. he then replies: "So? Let those freaks hack my computer! I don't care, it's got nothing good on it!" only when i left did i contemplate the stupidity of that statement. worryingly it is the view of everyone. but anyway, post your stories and see if there are any funny ones.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux Newbie
    yeah, a couple people i have "converted" :P I recommended Linux to them. I personally was converted and at first i had said windows was good enough
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

i am in the process of converting someone right now. luckily, he's not a big gamer so i dont have that to worry with. we just installed suse 9.2 on his machine (dual boot with windows) but i dont know how much he is using it yet. also, my brother was asking about linux since i told him it was more secure than windows (he gets lots of viruses all the time) and he is thinking about it. i had him using it on my computer for a few hours, then we couldn't get iTunes to work for his iPod, so I dont know how thats gonna work out.
    Today I fell and felt better, Just knowing this matters, I just feel stronger and SHARPER!!!, Found a box of sharp objects, What a beautiful THING!!! Box of Sharp Objects - The Used

I could have sworn this topic had been covered before, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. The original topic was a bit more positive, but asked the same question....
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    only when i left did i contemplate the stupidity of that statement.
    What is the stupidity of that statement?

this thread is destroying the concept of which linux is based on 'Choice' you should have the freedom of choice to choose what ever OS you wish. Converting and trying to force people into going with linux is just as unscrupulous as the things MS does to keep its customers. by now there should not be any people who dont know what linux is based on TV news and other media if they dont let them know and linux will sell itself.

just one mans humble opinion
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

I gave up arguing with Windows users. If they are genuinely satisfied, I don't bother them. If they are interested in something new, and are patient enough to learn, then I am happy to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    this thread is destroying the concept of which linux is based on 'Choice' you should have the freedom of choice to choose what ever OS you wish. Converting and trying to force people into going with linux is just as unscrupulous as the things MS does to keep its customers.
    I am also a big supporter of using whatever OS fits your needs. Force-feeding Linux on someone is no better than the force-feeding that Microsoft has done in the desktop market with their operating system. MS Windows is the better choice in OSes for some people, Linux is the better choice for others. What people need to be made aware of IMO is that they have a choice to begin with. Once that's done, it's up to them to decide what's best for what they do.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

well here recently i went to rebuild an old laptop without question i installed windows on it for my dad. i dont know of a distro my dad can get on use and not have problems other than windows. he doesnt want to learn something new. plus my distro of choice is slackware and is way more difficult that windows to use and maintain.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast