Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by techieMoe Haha. Well, I have a degree in C and C++. You have a BSc in C/C++...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Haha. Well, I have a degree in C and C++.
    You have a BSc in C/C++

Quote Originally Posted by Giro
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Haha. Well, I have a degree in C and C++.
    You have a BSc in C/C++
    Actually I have a BA in Computer Science with an emphasis in C/C++ Software Engineering.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    i'm also interested in learing programming. i'm taking a class next year on java. is java platform independant? could i use it to develop apps for linux (not that i'd know nearly enough, but in theory). also, what exactly is .NET? i see it referred to everywhere. is it something to do with C#?

thanks

Just Joined!
    Java is famous for it's portability, so yes it is very much platform independent.
    With Java you can create an application and then run the application on any machine you'd like, as long as that machine as an intepreter that can understand Java bytecode.

i am going to get my Associates in Computer Networking. Classes seem like they are going to be very easy.

then i am thinking of going to a university and getting my BA in computer science
    Today I fell and felt better, Just knowing this matters, I just feel stronger and SHARPER!!!, Found a box of sharp objects, What a beautiful THING!!! Box of Sharp Objects - The Used

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jnev
    i'm also interested in learing programming. i'm taking a class next year on java. is java platform independant? could i use it to develop apps for linux (not that i'd know nearly enough, but in theory). also, what exactly is .NET? i see it referred to everywhere. is it something to do with C#?

thanks
    Java is platform independent in that the same basic code can be interpretted and run on any machine with a java virtual machine this includes windows, linux.. almost any major operating systema actually, and even some handheld devices. C/C++ is only portable in the sense that it exists for virtually every platform/OS; you can't compile code under windows to run for linux, you'd have to port it.
    All I know about .NET is that it's a microsoft-specific framework (i.e., stay away from it if you want to develop for anything else). I'm not sure if it's integrated with C# just in practice, or if it's tied in by the very nature of the language.
    \"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces.\" - Sluggy Freelance

I dunno anything about C#, but the few sample codes I've seen look extremely similar to Java; it was quite odd.

But techiemoe, is there any real difference between a BA and a BS? I'm looking at BS programs, and they all seem more CS-specific than the associated BA program.

And interestingly, Boston University only offers a BA. That's one reason we're staying away from it.

So yeah...any real difference in the employment world?

But techiemoe, is there any real difference between a BA and a BS? I'm looking at BS programs, and they all seem more CS-specific than the associated BA program.
    The only difference between a BS or a BA in Computer Science at my university was your choice in minors. BS students basically had no choice other than to minor in math. I didn't like that, so I chose the BA track, which allowed me to minor in Spanish. I also didn't have to take a few of the upper-level maths that math minors had (they didn't adversely affect me in my CS classes at all BTW).

And interestingly, Boston University only offers a BA. That's one reason we're staying away from it.

So yeah...any real difference in the employment world?
    At my job, there wasn't. I've asked around with people who graduated along with me as well and they've had no problems from employers. From what I gather employers are more worried about whether or not you HAVE the degree and it's in a computer-related field, not whether or not you minored in math.

In my personal experience, an employer isn't going to NOT hire you because you have a BA rather than a BS. In fact, my minor was a positive to my employer since a lot of the software we deal with needs to be bilingual, so having a background Spanish (the major second language in Houston) was a positive. This isn't to say that there aren't some employers out there that look differently upon a BA versus a BS in the same discipline, but none that I know of make that distinction.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Souds like a good course you took

I dunno anything about C#, but the few sample codes I've seen look extremely similar to Java; it was quite odd.
    Hmm ..how to put this gently...C# *is* Java with just enough changes to make it just different enough to allow ........you get the picture...

Microsoft .NET
    C# and ASP.Net running on server talking to SQL Server DB
    Generates ASP/VBScript which is rendered as HTML in browser

J2EE/Websphere/Tomcat
    Server Side Java talking to DB2/Oracle
    Generates Servlets/JSP which are rendered as HTML in browser

in all fairness, the JSP spec was inspired by Microsoft's ASP model

(I didn't mi$pell anything, did I ?)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast