Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by JoeB Hmm ..how to put this gently...C# *is* Java with just enough changes to make it just different enough to allow ........you get the picture... That's the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeB
    Hmm ..how to put this gently...C# *is* Java with just enough changes to make it just different enough to allow ........you get the picture...
    That's the impression I get from looking at C#. It's Microsoft-branded Java with a little bit of Visual Basic thrown in for good measure.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Cool TechieMoe. Personally I think Java is too easy. But that's just my opinion. Hey where'd you get you'e BA in Computer Science at?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_The_Lionhearted
    Cool TechieMoe. Personally I think Java is too easy.
    Just out of curiosity, why do you think that? (Asks the guy who does it for a living and finds it quite daunting at times.)

But that's just my opinion. Hey where'd you get you'e BA in Computer Science at?
    It used to be called Southwest Texas State University, but my senior year they decided (and there was much disagreement over this) to change it to Texas State.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    OP wrote:
    (in college right now, wanted to make sureim going in the right direction)
    It looks like you have gotten some good feedback on this, and I want to throw in a comment from a different perspective.

Strive to be a business analyst (i.e. someone who can communicate with customers) first, and a programmer second. If you want to get a job out of college where all you do is hide in a cubicle and pump out code all day, forget it. Someone in India can do it just as well for $1 / hour. There is no way we can compete with that.

Remember that you need to make yourself vital to the business you are working for. By taking a couple classes now in, say, business or the industry you plan to be working in, you will make it a bit easier on yourself down the road. I am not writing this to discourage you, but rather to remind you that geeks are a dime a dozen - when you can translate your tech skills into something of value to your business customers you can (hopefully) expect to find and keep a job.

techieMoe wrote:
    It used to be called Southwest Texas State University, but my senior year they decided (and there was much disagreement over this) to change it to Texas State.
    On an unrelated note, I am applying to Texas State's MBA program (assuming I can pull off an ok score on the GMAT this summer).

Hey C# is an open standard not MS .NET is MS not C# and I would say any language is easy (so to speak) it what you do with it that makes it complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Giro
    Hey C# is an open standard not MS .NET is MS not C# and I would say any language is easy (so to speak) it what you do with it that makes it complex.
    Well, that depends on what you mean by "open" standard. How many other implementations of C# do you see out there other than that of MS? The Mono Project is the only one that comes to mind.

Also, I agree, it's not the language that's hard, it's what you're trying to do with it. The logic behind an operation is much more difficult to flesh out than the actual syntax for the code.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Yeh mono does spring to mind, But I agree .NET/C# is MS's answer to Java.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3