Find the answer to your Linux question:
In the process of switching from Intel to AMD, I decided to also make the AGP to PCI Express jump, but every pci express compatible motherboard I looked at also ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

PCI Express x1 and x4

In the process of switching from Intel to AMD, I decided to also make the AGP to PCI Express jump, but every pci express compatible motherboard I looked at also included a number of pci express x1 and x4 slots in addition to the x16 slot my new graphics card will use.

I've looked, and I cannot find any devices that use these ports. Anyone know what they are good for?

Linux Newbie
    i'm pretty sure that they will eventually replace pci slots.

Quote Originally Posted by jnev
    i'm pretty sure that they will eventually replace pci slots.
    That's also the impression I get. The idea (I guess) is that some devices such as network cards, sound cards, etc don't need the extremely large bandwidth that PCI Express x16 offers for video devices, so they only put a couple x16 slots with a bunch of x4 and x1 slots for the less CPU-intensive stuff.

On a somewhat related note, I'm holding off until the major motherboard manufacturers settle down on what they're offering. I've seen some boards with two x16 slots, two x1 slots, and a few regular PCI slots. Others have one x16 slot, three x1 slots, and no regular PCI slots. Some come with two x16 slots with SLI, some without. It just seems like they can't decide on a standard yet.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    yeah they need us to replace our hardware to keep thi industry going....the easiest way is to change the slot configuration the hardware for thoes slots will be out soon enough....loft306 thinks back to when they switched from isa to pci.....and for many years there they had isa and pci slots on all the mobo's as not to make it too painfull to the pocket book to switch all at once....and prob to give the board makers time to ramp up production of the new configurations...
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux User
    interesting. I assumed that pcix1 and pcix4 were just 'older' versions of pcix16

the board im getting has a pcix16, two pcix1 and three normal pci slots
    however, the only card that will likely ever need to go in this box is my video card, an nVidia 6600 w/ 256mb ram, as everyting else is integrated onto the motherboard, inclulding 802.11g

the difference between pcie1x, 4x, and 16x is how many lanes is assingned to them. there are supposedly 8x ones bt the only time you will ever actualy see 8x is when its an sli board. they have the two pcie16x slots actualy running at 8x in sli mode. this is because videocard sofar only need 8x. however i dont know how future proof this is because it may become useless in the futer to do sli on the older sli boards because they wont run at the speed that the card can. of course thats only if they ever need more than 8x. i remember seing THG's review of the taipay (defanatly not spelled right) convention and there was a pcie1x raid card that we will see soon. hopefully they will release sound cards on pc1x slots as well. i hope they dont start making 4x cards as its kinda rare for 4x slots on the mobo. also i know that a lot of the high end boards will put integrated gigabit ethernet on a pcie1x lane. a few actualy have 2 gigabit ports on pcie1x lanes. (why you need two i would love explained to me)

we should see pci phased out in the next generation of boards. already new sff boards dont have them and with the introduction of new devices using pcie we will hopefully not need them altogether.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA