Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I started learning linux a few months ago I found it so so so tempting every time I came up with a minor problem to, a) Immeadiately post a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I love this

When I started learning linux a few months ago I found it so so so tempting every time I came up with a minor problem to,
    a) Immeadiately post a million messages on forums like this asking others to do the work for me.
    or
    b) Throw my hands up in disgust and boot up XP.
    But I think I finally get it. Don't get me wrong, forums like this are brilliant (thanks guys!), but one of the joys of linux (for me) is learning by myself -- of course with the help of google!

Anyway, after only beginning a couple of months ago I have managed to test 5 different distros and decided on a favourite (SuSE9.2), installing them all myself, removing the ones I don't like, and today (trumpets please), I managed to create/move/resize a few partitions and move my /home directory to its own place!!
    I love the fact that this OS lets you have SO much control of your own system, and works in such a neat, clean, self-consistent way.

Hope I didn't take up too much of your time reading this drivel

Steve
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

oz
    forum.guy

Re: I love this

Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    but one of the joys of linux (for me) is learning by myself -- of course with the help of google!

Steve
    ...the power of the almighty "search" is a powerful force, indeed!

Just Joined!

Re: I love this

Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    and today (trumpets please), I managed to create/move/resize a few partitions and move my /home directory to its own place!!
    Hehehe! Yeah the feeling you get when you fix something yourself is amazing. I only had internet access once or twice a week at a different computer when I was learning so it made it even more satisfying when I managed to get things working. Then when I had internet on my own box while actually using Linux, oh boy, I was in learning heaven! :o

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I always fix and do everything I need to do myself, it's not pride, it's the fact I know that the experience I gain from it is worth more than the final result of what I set out to achieve.

There's no shame in asking for help, but I rarely do and there are a few times when I've asked to just be pointed in the right direction. When I started learning linux a long time ago I said to myself that I wanted to learn every little detail about my computer, and that's something that I hold true to this day and has payed off well.

The feeling that I get from setting out to do something and finishing it is very gratifying, much like my electronic projects.

Linux Engineer
    I can agree with that... It's very satisfying to see thinks work after you put a lot of effort into it. That's why I like linux so much. With windows, if stuff doesn't work, well... But with Linux it seems like there are so much more options (yes maybe I'm biased).

Anyway, I can't express the satisfaction I felt when I got my printer, scanner, and iRiver music player to work... Just great, and all by myself (and Google, of course) - SuSE 9.2 did the scanner and printer for me, but under Minislack I had to do it all - probe scanner, modify config files,... - printer was pretty easy with the cups setup page though , after googling a bit.

Also the level of control you have on your system is just great... Policies etc. boy I'm lovin' it
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Same feeling here. There is nothing better than solving a problem using your own wits.
    :rock:
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521