Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Originally Posted by fingal Something I've noticed in the Linux world (and this is just an observation). There seem to be a lot of 'either or' discussions. Eg: Gooeys v. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    Something I've noticed in the Linux world (and this is just an observation). There seem to be a lot of 'either or' discussions. Eg:

Gooeys v. command line
    Vim v. Emacs
    SuSe or Mandriva
    Linux v. Windows ...
    Tea v. coffee

Personally, I use the gui and the command line to solve a problem, switching between the two. Does anyone else do this, or am I the Lone Ranger? Variety is the spice of life!

Yep! It's not a case of A vs B, but what do you prefer to use.

In my case, I've used many different OSs through the years (ranging from mainframe systems, servers and desktops). Each is unique, has its own quirks, likes, disklikes, and each is suited for a specific task. Right now I prefer Linux over XP because on my old dinosaur of a box, Linux runs faster. When I upgrade later this summer to an improved system, I expect I'll start using XP more as well.

It's not a usability issue. It's a learning issue. You have to learn each new OS and what it's capable of doing. Once you've done that, it's just as easy as the previous OS you were using for years.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    I've been a Windows user for years but just started trying Linux seriously for about a month now - first on a laptop, and now dual-booting on my main box.

I am very uncomfortable with the way Windows has been "dumbed down" - cartoonish this, animated that, taskbar buttons that slide, menus that fade or animate (fading menus are the WORST on remote control!). Give me WindowMaker!

Slowly but surely, I am getting there
    Just installed nVidia drivers for my FX5700 last night...

I am starting to get more comfortable with command line, it's just a matter of what the commands are and how to use them.

I hated the thought of doing that in Windows, but somehow, this is different

Personally, I use the gui and the command line to solve a problem, switching between the two. Does anyone else do this, or am I the Lone Ranger? Variety is the spice of life!
    Yes I love using both gui and cli, and I use them to complement each other.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    I like IceWM when you have the taskbar set to use double-height, there is a CLI field right in the taskbar

Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    Yes I love using both gui and cli, and I use them to complement each other.
    me2 i use cli to get **** done and gui for eye candy/finding pic's....kinda hard to find the right pic in cli
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!

Linux VS Windows

I have been in the Window fold since NT 3.5 and have recently took the plunge into Linux.
    If every one will think back window has not always been GUI. There were and still are things you can acomplish faster in the command line of windows: IE adding many users at once.
    This bening said.
    The day to day user, I feel will continue with the market trends. If the majority of application and games they see on the shelf at there local computer store are written for windows then windows they will use.

I have come to find that each OS (windows, mac, linux) has its place in the world and my job is placing the correct OS in the hand of the user that would benefit most from it.

Our desktop publishing Office use Mac.
    Our graphic shop use Windows.
    The account dept use windows.
    The secetaries use Windows and office.
    The servers Run linux and Windows.

Do I have a preference, yes, Linux.
    Is it the correct choice for every-one no.

I guess i have ranted long enough--what i am trying to say is people have a choice and my choice may not be the same as the next person.

Just Joined!
    I would like to add that most Linux problems that I have encountered are from trying to dual boot.
    I think that Distros such as Suse or Ubuntu are ideal for PC newcomers as all the software the average user requires is included. Most problems seem to arrise from people (including me) assuming that Linux is the same as Windows - it isn't.
    I think that if you are inexperienced with Windows you can run into almost as many problems.
    There seems to be much more professional on-line help available for Linux than Windows.
    If more PC manufacturers were to supply Linux preinstalled, people would get used to Linux as quickly as they they did Windows.
    Basically I feel that because you can drive a car doesn't mean you can ride a bike, and the same is true with OS's.

Quote Originally Posted by broggyr
    I've been a Windows user for years but just started trying Linux seriously for about a month now - first on a laptop, and now dual-booting on my main box.

I am very uncomfortable with the way Windows has been "dumbed down" - cartoonish this, animated that, taskbar buttons that slide, menus that fade or animate (fading menus are the WORST on remote control!). Give me WindowMaker!

Slowly but surely, I am getting there
    Just installed nVidia drivers for my FX5700 last night...

I am starting to get more comfortable with command line, it's just a matter of what the commands are and how to use them.

I hated the thought of doing that in Windows, but somehow, this is different
    this is exactly what i mean! i was a GUI whore until linux. for some reason the command line is more intuitive in linux. the command line and gui compliment each other perfectly as they both have equal power to do what the user needs. it just so happens that the command line in linux is better. i still use the gui and rely on it. strangely, in windows i don't think that many things can be done outside of the gui and in the command line.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

[quote="fingal"]

Linux v. Windows ...
    there isn't a comparison here... windows is far superior... just kidding
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip
    Many things people say about viruses and spyware are simply not true. Example being a small network that I setup for my parents. (With a few clicks too.)
    Agreed, my windows box doesn't have any 3rd party anti-virus or firewall software installed and I haven't seen a virus in months.

As for Windows XP vs. Linux for home users, I'm still undecided.
    1) I put Fedora on my sisters PC and said you have the choice of it lookin like this: (Gnome / KDE) and asked which one she wanted. Her exact words were "theyre both ugly put it back to the old way"

2) When I'm wanting to install a piece of software that isn't supported by my distro I'd have to tar j/z xvf <file> && cd <dir> && ./configure && make && make install . And then if I wanted to uninstall I'd have to untar the files again and type make uninstall. Not only is compiling slower than windows "run click click click done" but most home users I know are afraid of the command line.

As I see it atm, the main problem I have with most home users is that a large majority of them having problems phone tech support before keying a few words into google. If they could learn to do this, Linux is a much nicer option.

Gonna stop ranting now...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast