Find the answer to your Linux question:
i am complete newbie to linux world..... never installed a os and never tried to do risky stuff.... i have got turbo linux...... is it easy to install.............i want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

anybody tried turbo linux

i am complete newbie to linux world..... never installed a os and never tried to do risky stuff....
    i have got turbo linux...... is it easy to install.............i want to make it a dual boot

Never tried it myself, mostly because as far as I know you can only buy it, and I'm not ready to buy a product like an OS untested. I've heard they offer some nice multimedia features built-in (as well as PowerDVD for Linux). But again, I don't know since I haven't ponied up the cash for it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Same boat here. I would love to try TurboLinux (I have read many reviews), but I do not want to pay for a new distro when I already have one that I like very much.

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Never tried it myself, mostly because as far as I know you can only buy it, and I'm not ready to buy a product like an OS untested. I've heard they offer some nice multimedia features built-in (as well as PowerDVD for Linux). But again, I don't know since I haven't ponied up the cash for it.
    so that's why you've never used windows on your home computer lol. i can't blame you, i wouldn't have used linux at all if it weren't free.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    so that's why you've never used windows on your home computer lol. i can't blame you, i wouldn't have used linux at all if it weren't free.
    One noun:

LimeWire.

Just Joined!
    A dual boot is easy. All you gotta do is create the partitions and install. Most operating systems will have a partition wizard built in to the install CD. Dual booting is pretty easy...you'll figure it out. And uh, never used Turbo Linux.

Linux Newbie
    I have an old TurboLinux CD around here that I got prepackaged with some network device I bought a very long time ago. It's probably a lot different now than it was then (EVERY distro is a lot different now than it was then), but at the time one of the things I appreciated about it is that the system seemed very sharp and clean-cut; it had no bloat. I remember reading that Turbolinux was more widely used in Asia, but I don't know if any of these things are still true (my experience with it is for all intents and purposes obsolete).

If you do install it, be sure to tell us about it (I'm curious to know what it's like now).

I normally don't bother with pay distros, but I don't know...to me there is some special warm fuzzy that I get deep down inside when I see linux in a shiny, shrink-wrapped box. :"> As far as I know, my current systems (slackware and Fedora), don't come in such grand boxes (nice CD bundles sure, but I'm talking a full-sized, commercial software box that I like to drool over every time I go to the store. Okay, maybe I just have a weird fetish, but all kidding aside, if I were to pay money to try one distro, I think I'd do something different and choose Turbolinux. I read a lot about distros like Xandros and the like, but I honestly have no interest in trying them.