Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Doing well in school doesn't necessarily translate to big $$, but there definitely seems to be a strong correlation. At the very least, completing a bachelor's or advanced degree should ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Doing well in school doesn't necessarily translate to big $$, but there definitely seems to be a strong correlation. At the very least, completing a bachelor's or advanced degree should presumably help your communication skills and increase your knowledge in whatever area you choose (basket weaving, for example).

Which is not to say that dropouts can't make big $$. I have a number of friends who went down the trade path and are doing quite well. Having strong sales instincts and working hard go a long way, apparently..

If college is not for you then at least pick a trade or tap into that entrepreneurial spirit (or both).

Once you get your degree, no one cares what you did in college.
    I hate to be cynical, but in a lot of ways this is true. It's a piece of paper that opens some doors.

well, i got my schedule for my comm. college. i talked to a transfer advisor from the university and asked her what classes i should take that would transfer so i wouldnt waste any money taking stupid classes for no reason. So in the spring, I should be able to attend the university. So, I am taking Pre-Calculus 1, English Comp 1, and American History 1. That will give me 9 hours, and since i only need 6, i will be able to get in!
    Today I fell and felt better, Just knowing this matters, I just feel stronger and SHARPER!!!, Found a box of sharp objects, What a beautiful THING!!! Box of Sharp Objects - The Used

Quote Originally Posted by anomie
    Once you get your degree, no one cares what you did in college.
    I hate to be cynical, but in a lot of ways this is true. It's a piece of paper that opens some doors.
    In Texas, your degree sometimes matters less than where you got it. I've known several people that got jobs because they went to the University of Texas or Texas A&M (bitter rivals to those of you unfamiliar).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    I agree with the ones that say that grades don't mean much in the real world. It's all about who you know, rather than what you know. I've been a lab assistant at the local community college for 1 year, and because I'm pretty cool and talk to everyone, I alreayd have a job whenever I graduate college as a part-time professor (I forgot what they're called, but it sounds like intern).

Of course, it's not the best job out there, but since I plan on going back for my master's it's a great job mainly because I can go into work whenever I can (as long as it's the same time as classes, but those usually last 2 hours at the most).

Another example, a really good friend of mine got a job as network administrator for another one of our friend's dad's company. Started at $25k a year, and 3 months later was getting $40k. I doubt anyone here gets that much after only 3 months of work with as AS degree.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3