Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Windows is faster at some things, but in general linux is faster at most things. that's something i see at least....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Windows is faster at some things, but in general linux is faster at most things. that's something i see at least.

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlydave
    My WindowsXP install is definitely faster than my Linux install. No question.
    This depends on what you're doing with it. Different OSes have their strengths in different areas. Windows XP is not faster in everything.
    come on techieMoe, admit it. you despise Ubuntu. it seems to be one of the most hated distros in the linux commmunity, yet it is loved by the magazines. i picked up a mag with an Ubuntu disc and they rated it 6th in the top products over the past year. no other linux distro got in 0_o. i've never used it but i trust techieMoe's review of it. he knows more about it than magazines.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux Guru
    Well, there were things I liked and disliked about ubuntu. I only ran the live disc but it was very slow to boot. Once up and running it was okay, but I was accounting for the fact it was a live disc too. Some of my older distros were poor to perform, and often discouraging (mostly looking at older Mandrake here) though recent releases have definitely become quicker. Strange considering all of the extra features. I know that in Mandrakes case this was to do with thier KDE compiling, leaving fvisibility to false.

Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    come on techieMoe, admit it. you despise Ubuntu. it seems to be one of the most hated distros in the linux commmunity, yet it is loved by the magazines. i picked up a mag with an Ubuntu disc and they rated it 6th in the top products over the past year. no other linux distro got in 0_o. i've never used it but i trust techieMoe's review of it. he knows more about it than magazines.

Yes, I'll be the first to admit I do despise Ubuntu. I don't like their slick pseudo-corporate image, their broad proclamations about being the "world-peace" distro, the fact that they're stealing the thunder of the very distribution upon which they are based (Debian), the fact that everyone in the media seems to love it, or the fact that try as I might it just doesn't work the way I want Linux to work.

However I don't want to start another Ubuntu-smearing thread, so I'm sticking with my previous statement that some people are going to find different OSes that work for them and that may or may not work for me. My main complaint with Ubuntu is not that there's anything inherently wrong about it, just that it doesn't behave the way I want it to, and there's plenty of other distros out there that do, so I use those instead. Let's put the Ubuntu thing to bed guys. Some love it, some hate it, that's all.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2