Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i went to a microsoft .NET conference today. it was actually very interesting. mostly it was a commercial for windows XP Embedded and Windows CE, but there were a few ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

.NET conference!

i went to a microsoft .NET conference today. it was actually very interesting. mostly it was a commercial for windows XP Embedded and Windows CE, but there were a few engineers that had some interesting stuff to say and who really new there stuff.

Windows XP Embedded is actually pretty interesting. You can essentially compile your own configurable windows kernel that includes whatever you want (with the option of putting the image on a disc and having the OS completely locked so that users cant accidentally screw anything up).

just thought i would share my positive experience with microsoft...there seems to be so few of them.

cheers

Linux User
    There is a number of great things about Microsoft software, most people who bash Microsoft do not have a clue what they are talking about and have no real IT experience but whatever they hear on IRC. Windows has actually a great deal to offer, most kids are simply not aware about the features because that would actually require some learning and understanding.

Just Joined!
    definitely.
    I am only in my third year of a cs degree, so I have no real experience in the industry. So many of my friends, colleagues and even professors are so passionately against windows. I have never understood it. Certainly microsoft does things differently than Linux, but why is that a bad thing? Windows is a great operating system for people who dont understand computers and just use them as a means of entertainment/communication. It definitely has its place in the computing world.

That being said, I am always amazed when setting up Linux boxes just how much faster they run compared to windows machines. I just recently compiled a windows XP kernel that had nothing but firefox, bitcomet and networking capabilities, and the linux box I had setup already to do the same thing runs almost twice as fast.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip
    Windows has actually a great deal to offer, most kids are simply not aware about the features because that would actually require some learning and understanding.
    The problem with Windows in this regard is, of course, that it's so incredibly hard to learn. The reasons I've identified for this are that 1) it's closed, so you can't really look at it and, foremost 2) that it's so incredibly complex.

The clarify number 2, Windows just has this ridiculous number of abstraction layers and more-or-less-unnecessary subsystems, and an appalling lack of clear, defined, underlying semantics. Just the fact that the NT kernel has no native interface that user programs can use says a whole lot about the complexity of Windows. Then there are like 50 different methods of IPC, where none is really preferred over another. Not to mention the absurd complexity of the Win32 interface subsystem.

Just to demonstrate, I used Windows for over a decade, and then, when I switched to Linux, I learned more about Linux in a year than I had learned about Windows in that decade. It's true, of course, that I was older and more prone to learning when I switched to Linux, but even so, I did a very large amount of DOS and Windows programming while I used it, and I know by experience that it's just so much harder to accomplish any learning in that environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip
    Windows has actually a great deal to offer, most kids are simply not aware about the features because that would actually require some learning and understanding.
    The problem with Windows in this regard is, of course, that it's so incredibly hard to learn. The reasons I've identified for this are that 1) it's closed, so you can't really look at it and, foremost 2) that it's so incredibly complex.

The clarify number 2, Windows just has this ridiculous number of abstraction layers and more-or-less-unnecessary subsystems, and an appalling lack of clear, defined, underlying semantics. Just the fact that the NT kernel has no native interface that user programs can use says a whole lot about the complexity of Windows. Then there are like 50 different methods of IPC, where none is really preferred over another. Not to mention the absurd complexity of the Win32 interface subsystem.

Just to demonstrate, I used Windows for over a decade, and then, when I switched to Linux, I learned more about Linux in a year than I had learned about Windows in that decade. It's true, of course, that I was older and more prone to learning when I switched to Linux, but even so, I did a very large amount of DOS and Windows programming while I used it, and I know by experience that it's just so much harder to accomplish any learning in that environment.
    i've been using it for a MONTH, and learned more about it than i did about windows in the 10 years i have had contact with it.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

is there a link to a website about that conference?
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

ya, its not that we hate microsoft so much because its so easy to use from a users point of view, its that the thing is so scraped together that the avarage developer often has a hard time making things work without direct training in the windows api. (not my words, just a repeat of what ive been reading about so take it withg a grain of salt). what i think is the biggest reason is that there is no way that you can charge someone more than a hundred dollars (US) for it. there is nothing about it that makes it worth a hundred dollars. and the fact that in order for it to be internet ready, you have to be equiped with a multitude of hackware programs to keep the viruses and syware from affecting you. even microsoft recomends that you have more than one of each programs just in case. but the thing that realy pisses people of more than anything is that it has become the industry standard. that is probobly the biggest problem of them all. if you look at every other market, the industry standard is the product that does everything it is suspose to do well, eficiantly, efectivly, in a timely manar, reliable, durable, and at a good cost. microsoft products are none of those. not to mention that they go and make allthere formats incompatable with anyone else. microsoft is anything but industry standard material but they have become the industry standard and thats why we hate them. because they shouldnt be but they are. only because lazy people make them so. oh, and cs noobs. i blame them too.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

^^ wow, this kid's got it all down... he forgot to mention that "they are rich so they are evil" but i'll let it slide... this time...

I think it is a good thing that Windows is the industry standard.
    If Linux became the industry standard, what would happen to all of the people that make AV software?
    There is a lot of money in that industry.
    What would happen to us Technicians that make a living repairing computers that have malware on them?

Making Linux the industry standard would be like curing cancer or the common cold, a lot of people would be out of business.

I still can't stand Windows and will not install it on my pc.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

lol, i'm gonna have to get into the business of charging people to fix their windows boxes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast